This paper describes the design, assembly and field testing of a LHCP (Left Hand Circularly Polarized) high gain helical antenna. The antenna is to be utilized for the reception of reflected Global Positioning System (GPS) signals, which are correlated with the direct signals to form an image of the area of interest. Thus the antenna forms a constituent element of a remote imaging system. Owing to the low power of the reflected GPS signals the major design parameter was obviously high gain, while maintaining the polarization integrity of reflected GPS signals. *
David W. Armitage,
"Design, Assembly and Testing of a High Gain LHCP Helical Antenna for Reception of Reflected GPS Signals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 44, 161-174, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13061305
1. Martin-Neira, M., "A passive reflectometry and interferometry system (PARIS): Application to ocean altimetry," ESA J., Vol. 17, 331-335, 1993.
2. Usman, M. and D. W. Armitage, "A remote imaging system based on reflected GPS signals," ICAST 2006, 173-178, Islamabad, Pakistan, 2006.
3. Kaplan, E. D., Understanding GPS Principles and Application, Artech House Publishers, 2005.
4. Manandhar, D., R. Shibasaki, and P. L. Normark, "GPS signal analysis using LHCP/RHCP antenna and software GPS receiver," ION Proceedings, GNSS 2004, 2489-2498, 2004.
5. Manandhar, D. and R. Shibasaki, "GPS reflected signal analysis using software receiver," Journal of Global Positioning Systems, Vol. 5, No. 1-2, 29-34, 2006. doi:10.5081/jgps.5.1.29
6. Cherniakov, M., R. Saini, R. Zuo, and M. Antoniou, "Space sur-face bistatic SAR with space-borne non-cooperative transmitters," Proc. Eur. Radar Conf., 25-28, Oct. 2005.
7. Kraus, J. D., Antennas, McGraw-Hill International Editions, 1988.
8. Djordjevic, A. R., "Optimization of helical antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 48, No. 6, 107-115, 2006. doi:10.1109/MAP.2006.323359
9. King, H. and J. Wong, "Characteristics of 1 to 8 wavelength uniform helical antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 28, No. 2, 291-296, 1980. doi:10.1109/TAP.1980.1142322
10. , , ARRL Antenna Handbook, 19th Edition, American Radio Relay League, Sep. 2000.
11. Emerson, D. T., "The gain of the axial-mode helix antenna," Antenna Compendium, Vol. 4, 64-68, 1995.
12. Turetken, B., A. I. Yurekli, and M. Yazici, "Design and realization of an L-band helical antenna," 2003 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, EMC'03, Vol. 1, 143-145, May 16, 2003.
13. Djordjevic, A. R., A. G. Zajic, and M. M. Ilic, "Enhancing the gain of helical antennas by shaping the ground conductor," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 138-140, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.873946
14. Borre, K., N. Bertelson, P. Rinder, and S. H. Jenson, A Software Defined GPS and GALILEO Receiver, a Single-frequency Approach, Birkhauser, 2006.