In this paper, design of broadband dual polarized electromagnetically coupled antenna array is proposed to achieve high isolation between two orthogonal ports. A dual polarized electromagnetically coupled microstrip antenna is designed with a suspended radiating element placed in inverted microstrip configuration and excited by two orthogonal microstrip line feeds to achieve broad bandwidth and high isolation. The antenna is designed for 5.8 GHz frequency band. In order to optimize the design, detailed parametric analysis of the antenna is presented. The antenna design is extended to 2×2 antenna array, with top layer radiating elements electromagnetically coupled to the open microstrip feed line network. The 6×6 antenna array is designed using 2×2 sub arrays with power divider network. The power divider network is integrated on the back side of the feed network to feed 2×2 antenna sub arrays. The 6×6 antenna array achieves VSWR < 2 bandwidth of 26% for Port 1 and 28% for Port 2. The 6×6 antenna array has measured gain of 22 dBi at 5.8 GHz with isolation between two orthogonal ports > 30 dB.
Prashant Kumar Mishra,
Dhananjay Ramchandra Jahagirdar,
"An Array of Broadband Dual Polarized Electromagnetically Coupled Microstrip Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 44, 211-223, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13090905
1. Lindmark, B. and M. Nilsson, "On the available diversity gain from different dual-polarized antennas," IEEE Journ. Selected IEEE Journ. Selected, Vol. 19, No. 2, 287-294, Feb. 2001. doi:10.1109/49.914506
2. Dong, L., H. Choo, R. W. Heath, and H. Ling, "Simulation of MIMO channel capacity with antenna polarization diversity," IEEE Trans. Wireless Comm., Vol. 4, No. 4, 1869-1873, Jul. 2005. doi:10.1109/TWC.2005.850318
3. Oestges, C., B. Clerckx, M. Guillaud, and M. Debbah, "Dual-polarized wireless communications: From propagation models to system performance evaluation," IEEE Trans. Wireless Comm., Vol. 7, No. 10, 4019-4031, Oct. 2008. doi:10.1109/T-WC.2008.070540
4. Nabar, R. U., H. Bolcskei, V. Erceg, D. Gesbert, and A. J. Paulraj, "Performance of multiantenna signaling techniques in the presence of polarization diversity," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2553-2562, Oct. 2002. doi:10.1109/TSP.2002.803322
5. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House Inc., Norwood, MA, 2003.
6. Haneishi, M. and M. Konno, "Dual-polarized planar antenna fed by dog-bone slots," International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 45-48, Apr. 2001. doi:10.1049/cp:20010235
7. Padhi, S. K., N. C. Karmakar, Sr., C. L. Law, and S. Aditya, Sr., "A dual polarized aperture coupled circular patch antenna using a C-shaped coupling slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 12, 3295-3298, Dec. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.820947
8. Gao, S.-C., L.-W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "Dual-polarized slot-coupled planar antenna with wide bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 3, 441-448, Mar. 2003.
9. Gao, S.-C., M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "A broad-band dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna with aperture coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 4, 898-900, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811080
11. Gao, S. and A. Sambell, "Dual-polarized broad-band microstrip antennas fed by proximity coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 1, 526-530, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.838763
12. Ghorbani, K. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Dual polarized wide-band aperture stacked patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2171-2174, Aug. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.832484
13. Wong, H., K. B. Ng, and K. M. Luk, "A dual-polarized L-probe patch antenna," Proceedings of APMC 2001,, 930-933, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C., 2001.
14. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "Wideband dual-polarized microstrip path excited by hook shaped probes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3645-3649, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007377
15. Guo, Y.-X., K.-M. Luk, and K.-F. Lee, "Broadband dual polarization patch element for cellular-phone base stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 2, 251-253, Feb. 2002. doi:10.1109/8.998004
16. Wong, K.-L. and T.-W. Chiou, "Broad-band dual-polarized patch antennas fed by capacitively coupled feed and slot-coupled feed," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 3, 346-351, Mar. 2002. doi:10.1109/8.999625
17. Chiou, T.-W. and K.-L. Wong, "Broad-band dual-polarized single microstrip patch antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 3, 399-401, Mar. 2002. doi:10.1109/8.999635
18. Ononchimeg, S., J.-H. Bang, and B.-C. Ahn, "A new dual-polarized gap-fed patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 14, 79-87, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10050405
19. Chung, Y., S. S. Jeon, D. Ahn, J.-I. Choi, and T. Itoh, "High isolation dual-polarized patch antenna using integrated defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compons.Lett., Vol. 14, No. 1, 4-6, Jan. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.821501
20. Zeland Mentor Graphics Corp., , "IE3D EM design system," , Version 15.0, Wilsonville, USA, 2010.