In this paper, a printed wideband Yagi-Uda antenna with a novel folded dipole driver is proposed. The folded dipole driver is comprised of a folded dipole and a microstrip feedline which functions as an internal balun to mainly determine its wide impedance bandwidth. With the optimized parameters, an operating band of 1.69 GHz~2.72 GHz can be obtained. Besides the folded dipole driver, the broadband printed Yagi-Uda antenna also consists of three directors and a reflector. Its wideband performance is mainly determined by the folded dipole driver, while the reflector and directors improve its performance slightly. By optimizing the geometrical parameters of the folded dipole driver, a bandwidth of 61.8% (1.53 GHz~2.93 GHz) for return loss being higher than 10 dB is achieved. The proposed printed Yagi-Uda antenna is realized on FR4 substrate with a measured operating bandwidth of 62% (1.51 GHz~2.94 GHz), a flat gain (5.6 dB~7.3 dB), more than 10dB front-to-back ratio and lower than -15 dB cross-polarization level.
1. Qian, Y., W. R. Deal, N. Kaneda, and T. Itoh, "Microstrip-fed quasi-Yagi antenna with broadband characteristics," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, 2194-2196, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19981583
2. Yeo, J. and J.-I. Lee, "Series-fed two dipole array antenna using bowtie elements with enhanced gain and front-to-back ratio," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11--12, 1641-1649, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.706788
3. Baliarda, C. P., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The koch monopole: A small antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag, Vol. 48, No. 11, 1773-1781, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.900236
4. Lin, S., X. Liu, and X.-R. Ma, "Design and analysis of a novel CPW-fed koch fractal Yagi-Uda antenna with small electric length," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 67-79, 2012.
5. Li, D. and J.-F. Mao, "A Koch-like sided fractal bow-tie dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2242-2251, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2189719
6. Wu, S.-J., C.-H. Kang, K.-H. Chen, and J.-H. Tarng, "A multiband quasi-Yagi type antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 2, 593-596, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2041522
7. Ding, Y., Y. Jiao, B. Li, and L. Zhang, "Folded triple-frequency quasi-Yagi-type antenna with modi¯ed CPW-to CPS transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 143-152, 2013.
8. Kaneda, N., W. R. Deal, Y. Qian, R.Waterhouse, and T. Itoh, "A broad-band quasi-Yagi antenna ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1158-1160, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.801299
9. Kan, H. K., R. B. Waterhouse, A. M. Abbosh, and M. E. Bialkowski, "Simple broadband planar CPW-fed quasi-Yagi antenna," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propag. Lett., No. 6, 18-20, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.890751
10. Ta, S. X., B. Kim, H. Choo, and I. Park, "Wideband quasi-Yagi antenna fed by microstrip-to slotline transition," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 1, 150-153, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26504
11. Nikolic, N. and A. R. Weily, "Compact E-band planar quasi-Yagi antenna with folded dipole driver," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 11, 1728-1734, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0531
12. Marin, J. and P. de Paco, "Rotary array imaging system by means of Gabor's Holography," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Millimeter Wave Integration Technologies, 168-171, 2011. doi:10.1109/IMWS3.2011.6061866
13. Deal, W. R., N. Kaneda, J. Sor, and Y. Qian, "A new quasi-Yagi antenna for planar active antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory & Tech., Vol. 48, No. 6, 910-918, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.846717
14. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.3rd Ed., , 2005.