A compact triband asymmetric coplanar strip (ACS)-fed monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications is proposed and investigated in this paper. The proposed antenna is composed of an ACS-fed folded monopole and two inverted-L branches, which occupies a very compact size of 26.5×12 mm2 including the ground plane. By carefully adjusting the lengths and positions of these branches, three desired resonant frequencies can be achieved and adjusted independently. The antenna exhibits three resonances covering the 2.4/5.8 GHz WLAN bands and 3.5 GHz WiMAX band. Details of the antenna design, simulation, and experimental results are presented and discussed. The proposed antenna shows nearly omnidirectional radiation characteristics and moderate gains in the operating bands. The compactness, simple feeding technique and uniplanar design make it easy to be integrated within the portable device for wireless communication.
"A Compact Triband ACS-Fed Monopole Antenna Employing Inverted-L Branches for WLAN/WiMAX
Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 47, 131-138, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14012002
1. Zhu, S. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable antennas over EBG substrate," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 3, 141-142, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20073151
2. Kang, L., Y.-Z. Yin, H. Li, W.-J. Huang, and S.-F. Zheng, "Dual-wideband symmetrical G-shaped slotted monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 55-65, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10062110
3. Zhao, G., F.-S. Zhang, Y. Song, Z.-B.Weng, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact ring monopole antenna with double meander lines for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 187-194, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07031405
4. Koo, T.-W., D. Kim, J.-I. Ryu, J.-C. Kim, and J.-G. Yook, "A coupled dual-U-shaped monopole antenna for WiMAX triple-band operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 4, 745-748, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.25842
5. Liu, Z.-Y., Y.-Z. Yin, S.-F. Zheng, W. Hu, and L.-H.Wen, "A compact CPW-fed monopole antenna with a U-shaped strip and a pair of L-slits ground for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 11-19, 2010.
6. Ren, F.-C., F.-S. Zhang, J.-H. Bao, B. Chen, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact triple-frequency slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 21-30, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL11071906
7. Zhang, X.-Q., Y.-C. Jiao, and W.-H. Wang, "Miniature triple-band CPW-fed monopole antenna or WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 97-105, 2012.
8. Lee, Y.-C. and J.-S. Sun, "A new printed antenna for multiband wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 402-405, 2009.
9. Thomas, K.-G. and M. Sreenivasan, "Compact triple band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 16, 811-813, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.1658
10. Dang, L., Z.-Y. Lei, Y.-J. Xie, G.-L. Ning, and J. Fan, "A compact microstrip slot triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1178-1181, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2098433
11. Hu, W., Y.-Z. Yin, P. Fei, and X. Yang, "Compact triband square-slot antenna with symmetrical L-strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 462-465, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2154372
12. Ren, X.-S., Y.-Z. Yin, W. Hu, and Y.-Q. Wei, "Compact tri-band rectangular ring patch antenna with asymmetrical strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1829-1838, 2010.
13. Lai, C.-P., S.-C. Chiu, and S.-Y. Chen, "Miniaturization of CPW-fed slot antennas using reactive terminations and truncated bilateral ground plane," EEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1072-1075, 2012.
14. Deepu, V., R.-K. Raj, M. Joseph, M.-N. Suma, and P. Mohanan, "Compact asymmetric coplanar strip fed monopole antenna for multiband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 2351-2357, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.901847
15. Deepu, V., R. Sujith, S. Mridula, C.-K. Aanandan, K. Vasudevan, and P. Mohanan, "ACS fed printed F-shaped uniplanar antenna for dual band WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1852-1856, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24486