A new ultra-wideband antenna with enhanced, nearly constant gain is presented. This quasi-planar antenna is composed of a CPW-fed printed monopole and a short horn, both made out of a single substrate. The measurements demonstrate an almost at peak gain of 5.5 dBi0.7 dB from 2.5 GHz to 15 GHz with the average gain difference in XZ plane is roughly 2 dB up to 8 GHz, which further rise to 6 dB at 10 GHz. The antenna also has a nearly linear phase response in this band. Well tested performance both in frequency and time domains, along with broad azimuth pattern, results in minimal ringing of a radiated pulse. The new antenna is suitable for establishing good line of sight link for UWB transmission and other broadband applications.
1. Allen, B., M. Dohler, E. Okon, Wa. Malik, A. Brown, and D. Edwards, Ultra Wideband Antennas and Propagation for Communications, Radar and Imaging, Weily Interscience, 2006.
2. Fear, E. C. and M. A. Stuchly, "Microwave detection of breast cancer," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, 1854-1863, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.883862
3. O'Halloran, M., M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Rotating antenna microwave imaging system for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 203-217, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071002
4. Bellett, P. T. and C. J. Leat, "An investigation of magnetic antennas for ground penetrating radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 43, 257-271, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER03051301
5. Amineh, R. K., A. Trehan, and N. K. Nikolova, "TEM horn antenna for ultra-wide band microwave breast imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 59-74, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08122213
6. Lee, R. T. and G. S. Smith, "A design study for the basic TEM horn antenna," IEEE Antennas Propag. Magazine, Vol. 46, No. 1, 86-92, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/MAP.2004.1296150
7. Sironen, M., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A 60 GHz conical horn antenna excited with quasi-Yagi antenna," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 547-550, Phoenix, AZ, USA, 2001.
8. Rahman, A., A. K. Verma, and A. S. Omar, "High gain wideband compact microstrip antenna with quasi-planner surface mount horn," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 571-574, 2003.
9. Nasimuddin and K. P. Esselle, "Antennas with dielectric resonators and surface mounted short orns for high gain and large bandwidth," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 3, 723-728, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20060120
10. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858598
11. Chen, N.-W. and Y.-C. Liang, "An ultra-broadband, coplanar-waveguide fed circular monopole antenna with improved radiation characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 193-207, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09071610
12. Ray, K. P. and Y. Ranga, "Ultra wideband printed elliptical monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1189-1192, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.893408
13. Huang, C. Y. and W. C. Hsia, "Planar elliptical antenna for ultra wideband application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 6, 296-297, Mar. 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20057244
14. Ray, K. P. and Y. Ranga, "Ultra-wideband printed modified triangular monopole antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 19, 1081-1082, Sep. 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20061913
15. Chapre, Y., M. M. Sharma, and Y. Ranga, "An extremely wideband printed antenna for wireless communication systems," 2010 Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON), 1-3, Dec. 17-19, 2010.
16. Kwon, D.-H., "Effect of antenna gain and group delay variations on pulse-preserving capabilities of ultrawideband antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2208-2215, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.879189
17. Ranga, Y., A. K. Verma, and K. P. Esselle, "Planar-monopole-fed, surface-mounted quasi-TEM horn antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2436-2439, Jul. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048843
18. Ranga, Y., K. P. Esselle, A. R. Weily, and A. K. Verma, "An ultra-wideband printed monopole antenna with the gain enhanced using a surface-mounted short horn," 2010 Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, Apr. 12-16, 2010.
19. Ranga, Y., K. P. Esselle, A. R. Weily, and A. K. Verma, "A compact antenna with high gain for ultra wide band systems," European Microwave Conference, 85-88, Sep. 29-Oct. 1, 2009.
20. Ranga, Y., A. K. Verma, K. P. Esselle, and A. R. Weily, "Gain enhancement of UWB slot with the use of surface mounted short horn," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-4, Jul. 11-17, 2010.
21. Ranga, Y., K. P. Esselle, A. R. Weily, and A. K. Verma, "Compact high-gain short-horn antenna for UWB applications," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1511-1513, Apr. 11-15, 2011.
22. Wiesbeck, W., G. Adamiuk, and C. Sturm, "Basic properties and design principles of UWB antennas," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 372-385, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2008.2008838