A novel CPW-fed antenna capable of triple-band operation for WLAN/WiMAX applications is presented and investigated in this paper. The proposed antenna simply consists of three elements viz. folded open stub, L-shaped open stub, and Y-shaped resonator. By using the three elements, triple-band antenna operating at 2.5/3.5/5.5 GHz can be achieved. The antenna impedance bandwidths for |S11| ≤ -10 dB are 2.39-2.69, 3.38-3.73 and 5.0-5.99 GHz, covering all the WLAN/WiMAX operation bands. The tri-band antenna has good omnidirectional radiation patterns in H-plane and moderate gains across all the operation bands with compact size of 30 × 18 mm2. Experimental results show that the antenna is successfully simulated and measured, and the tri-band antenna can be achieved by adjusting the lengths of the three elements and gives good gains across all the operation bands.
1. Xin, G. L. and J. P. Xu, "Wideband miniature G-shaped antenna for dual-band WLAN applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 24, 1330-1332, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20072520
2. Hu, W., Y.-Z. Yin, Y. Yang, and X.-S. Ren, "Compact printed antenna with h-shaped stub for dual-band operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 25, 1644-1645, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.3008
3. Chu, Q.-X. and L.-H. Ye, "Design of compact dual-wideband antenna with assembled monopoles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 4063-4066, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2078451
4. Dong, L., Z.-Y. Zhang, W. Li, and G. Fum, "A compact CPW-fed monopole antenna with triple bands for WLAN/Wimax applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 39, 103-113, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13030613
5. Xu, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, and Y.-C. Luan, "Compact CPW-fed printed monopole antenna with triple-band characteristics for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 24, 1519-1520, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.3255
6. Liu, P., et al., "Compact CPW-fed tri-band printed antenna with meandering split-ring slot for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 11, 1242-1244, 2012.
7. Sim, , C. Y. D., et al., "Coplanar waveguide-fed slot antenna for wireless local area network/worldwide interoperability for microwave access applications ," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1529-1535, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0174
8. Zheng, L. and G. Wang, "Design of triple-frequency folded slot antenna for 2.4/3.5/5.2/5.8-GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 43, 115-123, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13090204
9. Chen, S.-Y., Y.-C. Chen, and P. Hsu, "CPW-fed aperture-coupled slot dipole antenna for tri-band operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 535-537, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2006071
10. Liu, H.-W., C.-H. Ku, and C.-F. Yang, "Novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 240-243, 2010.
11. Xu, L., Z.-Y. Xin, and J. He, "A compact triple-band fork-shaped ante nna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, 61-69, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13040210
12. Wan, Y.-T., et al., "Miniature multi-band monopole antenna using spiral ring resonators for radiation pattern characteristics improvement," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 6, 382-384, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2012.3980
13. Liu, Y.-F., P. Wang, and H. Qin, "A compact triband ACS-fed monopole antenna employing inverted-L branches for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 131-138, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14012002
14. Koohestani, M. and M. Golpour, "U-shaped microstrip patch antenna with novel parasitic tuning stubs for ultra wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 7, 938-946, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0049