This paper presents a novel compact dual-tri bandpass microstrip filter employing meander and open stub loaded resonators. With the proposed technique, a simple transformation from dual-band to tri-band BPF is realized. A novel structure using embedded resonators is designed to generate multi-band response. The main resonators control the low-band resonant frequency, the meander resonators control the two high-band resonant frequency and the open stub resonators control the high-band resonant frequency. The meander/stub resonators are embedded into the main spiral resonators, which makes the filter compact where its size is reduced by 64% compared to traditional filters. Passbands improvements and high selectivity are realized by the short circuit stubs which generate additional transmission zeros. The proposed filter has advantages such as low insertion loss, compact size and high selectivity. The theory is validated using the commercial full-wave solver CST 2012. Finally, the proposed structure is implemented and the measurement results are found to be in good agreement with the simulation results.
Hesham Abd Elhady Mohamed,
Heba B. El-Shaarawy,
Esmat A. F. Abdallah,
"A Very Compact Novel Multi-Band BPF for Recent Mobile/Satellite Communication Systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 50, 47-56, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14031307
1. Hasan, A. and A. E. Nadeem, "Novel microstrip hairpinline narrowband bandpass filter using via ground holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 393-419, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091401
2. Zhang, X. Y., J. Shi, J.-X. Chen, and Q. Xue, "Dual-band bandpass filter design using a novel feed scheme," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 6, 350-352, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2020009
3. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filter for RF/Microwave Applications, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2011. doi:10.1002/9780470937297
4. Girdhari, C. and J. Kim, "Design of dual-band bandpass filter using DGS with controllable second passband," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 11, 589-591, Nov. 2011.
5. Dai, G. and M. Xia, "Novel miniaturized bandpass filters using spiral-shaped resonators and window feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 235-243, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09120401
6. Ma, D., Z. Y. Xiao, L. Xiang, X. Wu, C. Huang, and X. Kou, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter using folded SIR with two stubs for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 357-364, 2011.
7. Lin, M. and Q. X. Chu, "Design of triple-band bandpass filter using tri-section stepped-impedance resonators," Proc. Int. Microw. Millimeter Wave Tech. Conf., 798-800, Guilin, China, Apr. 2007.
8. Chu, Q. X. and X. M. Lin, "Advanced triple-band bandpass filter using tri-section SIR," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 4, 295-296, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20083096
9. Chen, F. C. and Q. X. Chu, "Design of compact tri-band bandpass filters using assembled resonators," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 165-171, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2008963
10. Luo, S., L. Zhu, and S. Sun, "Compact dual-mode triple-band bandpass filters using three pairs of degenerate modes in a ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 5, 1222-1229, May 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2123106
11. Li, Z.-P., S.-J. Wang, T. Su, and C.-H. Liang, "A novel triple passband filter design method based on stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 199-211, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12090506
12. Yu, W., M.-H. Weng, and S.-J. Chang, "A new tri-band bandpass filter based on stub-loaded step-impedance resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 4, 179-181, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2187884
13. Chen, W.-Y., M.-H.Weng, S.-J. Chang, H. Kuan, and Y.-H. Su, "A new tri-band bandpass filter for GSM, WIMAX and ultra-wideband responses by using asymmetric stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 365-381, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11122010
14. Tsai, C.-M., S.-Y. Lee, and C.-C. Tsai, "Performance of a planar filter using a zero-degree feed structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2362-2367, Oct. 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.803421