In this paper, a miniaturized dual-band bandpass filter with high selectivity and band-to-band isolation is presented. The filter consists of two quarter-wavelength stepped impedance resonators (SIRs) which share a common grounded via-hole and two symmetrical half-wavelength SIRs which are embedded into the inner space to reduce the size of the filter. Two independent mixed coupling paths which are created by the coupling between these SIRs introduce two different passbands. Five transmission zeros (TZs) are generated near the two passbands to achieve high frequency selectivity and band-to-band isolation. To validate the design theory, a dual-band filter operating at 2.45 and 5.2 GHz was designed and fabricated. The size of the proposed filter only occupies 0.095λg × 0.109λg and the measured 3 dB fractional bandwidth (FBW) of the first and second passbands is 11.5% and 7.4% respectively. The measured results are in good agreement with the simulated results.
"Design of a Miniaturized Dual-Band Bandpass Filter with High Selectivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 50, 165-170, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14041508
1. Chen, C. Y. and C. Y. Hsu, "A simple and effective method for microstrip dual-band filters design," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 5, 246-248, May 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.873584
2. Tsai, L. C. and C. W. Hsue, "Dual-band bandpass filters using equal-length coupled-serial-shunted lines and Z-transform technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1111-1117, Apr. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.825680
3. Guan, X., Z. Ma, P. Cai, Y. Kobayashi, T. Anada, and G. Hagiwara, "Synthesis of dual-band bandpass filters using successive frequency transformations and circuit conversions," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 3, 110-112, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.869868
4. Mokhtaari, M., J. Bornemann, K. Rambabu, and S. Amari, "Coupling matrix design of dual and triple passband filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3940-3946, Nov. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.884687
5. Chu, Q. X. and F. C. Chen, "A compact dual-band bandpass filter using meandering stepped impedance resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 5, 320-322, May 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.922117
6. Zhang, X. Y., J. X. Chen, Q. Xue, and S. M. Li, "Dual-band bandpass filters using stub-loaded resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 8, 583-585, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.901768
7. Kuo, J. T., T. H. Yeh, and C. C. Yeh, "Design of microstrip bandpass filters with a dual-passband response," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.,, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1331-1337, Apr. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845765
8. Mondal, P. and M. K. Mandal, "Design of dual-band bandpass filters using stub-loaded open-loop resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 150-155, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912204
9. Sun, X. and E. L. Tan, "A novel dual-band bandpass filter using generalized trisection stepped impedance resonator with improved out-of-band performance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 31-40, 2011.
10. Li, Z. P., T. Su, Y. L. Zhang, and C. H. Liang, "A novel dual-band passband filter with controllable center frequencies and bandwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, 29-38, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13031915
11. Zhang, X. Y., C. H. Chan, Q. Xue, and B.-J.Hu, "Dual-band bandpass filter with controllable bandwidths using two coupling paths," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 11, 616-618, Nov. 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2066553
12. Sun, S. J., L. Lin, B. Wu, K. Deng, and C. H. Liang, "A novel quad-mode resonator and its application to dual-band bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 43, 95-104, 2013.
13. Li, Y. C., H. Wong, and Q. Xue, "Dual-mode dual-band filter based on a stub-loaded patch resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett, Vol. 21, No. 10, 525-527, Oct. 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2164394
14. Chang, Y. C., C. H. Kao, M. H.Weng, and R. Y. Yang, "Design of the compact dual-band bandpass filter with high isolation for GPS/WLAN applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 780-782, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2033523
15. Zhang, X. Y., J. X. Chen, J. Shi, and Q. Xue, "High-selectivity dual-band bandpass filter using asymmetric stepped-impedance resonators," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 1, 63-64, 2009. doi:10.1049/el:20091939
16. Wei, X. B., Y. Shi, P. Wang, and J. X. Liao, "Design of compact, wide stopband bandpass filter using stepped impedance resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 8-9, 1095-1104, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.710534