In this paper, an efficient spectral signature based chipless RFID tag is presented, where 4N number of words can be coded using only N number of resonators. As data bit encoding element, the proposed tag utilizes a number of modified complementary split ring resonators (MCSRR). A novel resonance detuning mechanism proposed here allows the use of an MCSRR to independently encode two data bits instead of one bit. Compared with two separate rings based CSRR, the proposed MCSRR occupies 56% less area and also reduces the resonance bandwidth requirement by more than 60%. The multiresonator circuit and the UWB antennas are implemented on a thin (0.127 mm) substrate with only single sided metallization. The proposed tag has great prospect to yield an ultra-low cost chipless RFID tag that may replace barcode in the long run.
Md. Shakil Bhuiyan,
Nemai C. Karmakar,
"An Efficient Coplanar Retransmission Type Chipless RFID Tag Based on Dual-Band McSrr," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 54, 133-141, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14061403
1. Preradovic, S. and N. C. Karmakar, "Chipless RFID: Bar code of the future," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 11, 87-97, 2010. doi:10.1109/MMM.2010.938571
2. Mukherjee, S., "Chipless radio frequency identification by remote measurement of complex impedance," European Conference on Wireless Technologies, 249-252, Munich, Germany, Oct. 8-10, 2007.
3. Jang, H.-S., W.-G. Lim, K.-S. Oh, S.-M. Moon, and J.-W. Yu, "Design of low-cost chipless system using printable chipless tag with electromagnetic code," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, 640-642, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2073692
2. Blischak, A. and M. Manteghi, "Pole residue techniques for chipless RFID detection," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jun. 1-5, 2009.
5. Islam, M. A., Y. Yap, N. C. Karmakar, and A. Azad, "Compact printable orientation independent chipless RFID tag," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 55-66, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12071306
6. Shao, B., Q. Chen, R. Liu, and L.-R. Zheng, "Design of fully printable and configurable chipless RFID tag on flexible substrate," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 226-230, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26499
7. Vena, A., E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "A fully printable chipless RFID tag with detuning correction technique," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, 209-211, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2188785
8. Preradovic, S. and N. C. Karmakar, "Design of chipless RFID tag for operation on flexible laminates," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 207-210, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2045872
9. Preradovic, S., I. Balbin, N. C. Karmakar, and G. F. Swiegers, "Multiresonator-based chipless RFID system for low-cost item tracking," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, 1411-1419, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017323
10. Balbin, I. and N. Karmakar, "Ovel chipless RFID tag for conveyor belt tracking using multi-resonant dipole antenna," 39th European Microwave Conference, 1109-1112, Rome, Italy, Sep. 29-Oct. 1, 2009.
11. Nijas, C. M., R. Dinesh, U. Deepak, A. Rasheed, S. Mridula, K. Vasudevan, et al. "Chipless RFID tag using multiple microstrip open stub resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 4429-4432, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207081
12. Preradovic, S., "Chipless RFID system for barcode replacement,", Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering, Monash University, Melbourne, 2009.
13. Girbau, D., J. Lorenzo, A. Lazaro, C. Ferrater, and R. Villarino, "Frequency-coded chipless RFID tag based on dual-band resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 126-128, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2185032
14. Al-Nuaimi, M. K. T. and W. G. Whittow, "Compact microstrip band stop filter using SRR and CSSR: Design, simulation and results," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Apr. 12-16, 2010.
15. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, R. M. Sillero, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, et al. "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar ransmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 1451-1461, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845211
16. Lee, C.-M., T. C. Yo, C.-H. Luo, C.-H. Tu, and Y.-Z. Juang, "Broadband disk monopole antenna with a circular CPW-feeding line," 2007 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 773-776, 2007.
17. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3–12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08070502
18. Liang, J., L. Guo, C. C. Chiau, and X. Chen, "CPW-fed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB applications," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials, IWAT 2005, 505-508, 2005. doi:10.1109/IWAT.2005.1461127
19. Liang, J., L. Guo, C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of CPW-fed circular disc monopole antenna for ultra wideband applications," IEE Proceedings on Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, 520-526, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20045179
20. Ren, W., J. Y. Deng, and K. S. Chen, "Compact PCB monopole antenna for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1411-1420, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239401