Novel 2-D Time Domain Electric Field Integral Equations (TD-EFIE) are established in order to predict transient response of a wire enclosed within a rectangular cavity. The wire and cavity are excited by an external incident transient electromagnetic wave through a slot in the cavity wall. The formulation of the TD-EFIE is based on equivalence principle and boundary conditions taking account the effect of reflection from cavity walls. The equations are efficiently solved by Method of Moments. The transient unknown coefficients of the electric current at the wire and magnetic current at the slot are approximated using a set of orthonormal temporal basis functions derived from Laguerre Polynomials. The analysis demonstration is presented to prove that the novel TD-EFIE combined to MoM is able to solve this critical problem. No late-time instability is encountered.
"Transient Analysis of a Rectangular Cavity Containing an Interior Scatterer Using TD-EFIE with Weighted Laguerre Polynomials as Temporal Basis Functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 39, 93-106, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERM14072108
1. Seidel, D. B., D. G. Dudley, and C. M. Butler, "Aperture excitation of a wire in a rectangular cavity," Interaction Notes, Note 345, June 1977.
2. Bailin, M. and D. K. Cheng, "Transient electromagnetic fields coupled into a conducting cavity through a slot aperture," Scientia Sinica (Series A), Vol. XXVII, No. 7, 775-784, July 1984.
3. Wen, G., "Time-domain theory of metal cavity resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 219-253, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07090605
4. Zhang, G.-H., M. Xia, and X.-M. Jiang, "Transient analysis of wire structures using time domain integral equation method with exact matrix elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 281-293, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09032003
5. Zhang, G.-H., M. Xia, and C. H. Chan, "Time domain integral equation approach for analysis of transient responses by metallic-dielectric composite bodies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 1-14, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08092803
6. Rao, S. M., Time Domain Electromagnetics, Academic Press Series in Engineering, Auburn, 1999.
7. Pisharody, G., R. A. Wildman, and D. S. Weile, "Accurate solution of time domain integral equations using higher order vector bases and bandlimited extrapolation," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 555-558, 2003.
8. Weile, D. S., G. Pisharody, N. W. Chen, B. Shanker, and E. Michielssen, "A novel scheme for the solution of the time-domain integral equations of electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 1, 283-295, January 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.822450
9. Jung, B. H., T. K. Sarkar, Z. Ji, and Y. S. Chung, "A stable solution of time domain electric field integral equation," IEEE, 2002.
10. Ji, Z., T. K. Sarkar, B. H. Jung, Y. S. Chung, M. S. Palma, and M. Yua, "A stable solution of time domain electric field integral equation for thin-wire antennas using the Laguerre Polynomials," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2641-2649, October 2004.
11. Jung, B. H., Y.-S. Chung, and T. K. Sarkar, "Time-domain EFIE, MFIE, and CFIE formulations using Laguerre Polynomials as temporal basis functions for the analysis of transient scattering from arbitrary shaped conducting structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 39, 1-45, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER02083001
12. Jung, B. H., T. K. Sarkar, Z. Ji, S. Jang, and K. Kim, "Transient electromagnetic scattering from dielectric objects using the electric field integral equation with Laguerre Polynomials as temporal basis functions," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2329-2340, September 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834062
13. Lacik, J. and Z. Raida, "Modeling microwave structures in time domain using Laguerre Polynomials," adioengineering, Vol. 15, No. 3, September 2006.
14. Mei, Z., Y. Zhang, X. Zhao, B. H. Jung, T. K. Sarker, and M. Salazar-Palma, "Choice of the scaling Factor in a marching-on-in-degree time domain technique based on the associated Laguerre Functions," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4463-4467, September 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207066
15. Guan, X., S. Wang, Y. Su, and J. Mao, "A method to reduce the oscillations of solution of time domain integral equation using Laguerre Polynomials," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 784-789, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS060906092326
16. Gibson, W. C., The Method of Moments in Electromagnetics, 33-62, Chapman & Hall/CRC, US, 2008.
17. Coghetto, M. and C. Offelli, "A procedure for the evaluation of radiated emissions from polygonal wires with the method of moments," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 1, 334-339, 1999.
18. Chen, K. M., "A mathematical formulation of the equivalence principle," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 37, No. 10, 1576-1581, October 1989. doi:10.1109/22.41004
19. Booysen, A. J., "Aperture theory and the equivalence principle," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 3, 29-40, June 2003. doi:10.1109/MAP.2003.1232161
20. Booysen, A. J., "Aperture theory and the equivalence theorem," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 1258-1261, 1999.