By using some special passive structures and correction of boundary conditions, a novel method to improve the electromagnetic (EM) simulation accuracy is proposed. With this method, the substrate parameters, such as thickness, loss, dielectric constant, loss tangent, sheet resistance, square capacitance and conductivity of the metal, can be described more accurately, and a lot of high frequency effects caused by skin effects, parasitic effects, coupling between micro-strip lines and fluctuation from the sheet resistance, etc. can also be simulated more precisely. Then an accurately scalable small-signal model for millimeter-wave HEMTs is proposed and presented. Combined with distributed modeling, pulsed IV and S parameter measurements, this model can be made scalable freely. The measurements agree with simulated results very well, which also proves that this method applied to the scalable small-signal models has a good consistency and accuracy.
1. Goasguen, S., M. M. Tomeh, and S. M. El-Ghazaly, "Full wave analysis of FET fingers using various semiconductor physical models," 2001 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 415, 2001. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2001.966919
2. Robin, F., O. J. Homan, and W. Bachtold, "2D simulations of InGaAs/InAlAs/InP HEMTs with asymmetrical gate recess," 2000 International Conference on Indium Phosphide and Related Materials, 98, 2000. doi:10.1109/ICIPRM.2000.850241
3. Imtiaz, S. M. S. and S. M. El-Ghazaly, "Performance of MODFET and MESFET, a comparative study including equivalent circuits using combined electromagnetic and solid-state simulator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 7, 923, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.701444
4. Cidronali, A., et al., "Physical/electromagnetic pHEMT modeling," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 3, 830, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.808580
5. Imtiaz, S. M. and S. M. El-Ghazaly, "Global modeling of millimeter-wave circuits: Electromagnetic simulation of amplifiers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 12-2208, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.643818
6. Laloue, A., et al., "Extrapolation of a measurement-based millimeter-wave nonlinear model of pHEMT to arbitrary-shaped transistors through electromagnetic simulations," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 6, 908, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.769325
7. Tsai, R., et al., "2nd generation device modeling for MMIC design & manufacturability," 2002 GaAs MANTECH Conference, 2002.
8. Hoque, M. E., et al., "Scalable HEMT model for small signal operations," 2010 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 309, 2010. doi:10.1109/ICEAA.2010.5651288
9. Schwitter, B., et al., "Study of self-heating in GaAs pHEMTs using pulsed I-V analysis," 81st Microwave Measurement Conference, 1-6, 2013.
10. Ladbrooke, P. H. and S. R. Blight, "Low-field low-frequency dispersion of transconductance in GaAs MESFETs with implications for other rate-dependent anomalies," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 35, No. 3, 257, 1988. doi:10.1109/16.2449
11. Camacho, P. C. and C. S. Aitchison, "Modelling frequency dependence of output impedance of a microwave MESFET at low frequencies," Electronics Letters, Vol. 21, No. 12, 528, 1985. doi:10.1049/el:19850373
12. Brazil, T. J., "A universal large-signal equivalent circuit model for the GaAs MESFET," 21st European Microwave Conference, Vol. 2, 921, 1991.
13. Rizzoli, V., A. Costanzo, and G. Muzzarelli, "A universal electrothermal FET model suitable for general large-signal applications," Proc. 26th EuMC, Vol. 251, 1996.
14. Cojocaru, V. I. and T. J. Brazil, "A scalable general-purpose model for microwave FETs including DC/AC dispersion effects," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 12, 2248, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.643826
15. Cidronali, A., et al., "Small-signal distributed FET modeling through electromagnetic analysis of the extrinsic structure," 1998 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 287, 1998. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.1998.689376
16. Kuwabara, T., et al., "Accurate analysis of millimeter-wave MMIC power amplifier using distributed FET model," 1999 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 161, 1999. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.1999.779448