A compact dumbbell-shaped split-ring DGS is introduced between array elements of a sixteen-element microstrip array in order to reduce the mutual coupling between antenna elements and eliminate the scan blindness. The proposed DGS is inserted between the adjacent rectangle-shaped slotted microstrip antenna elements separated by 0.35λ, as a technique to suppress the radiation in the horizontal direction. Simulated results show that a reduction in mutual coupling of 36 dB is obtained between elements at the operation frequency of 2.45 GHz (WLAN band). The scan properties of microstrip array with and without DGS have been studied, and the result indicates that the scan blindness of the array has been well eliminated because of the effect of the DGS. We have developed experimental models that have proved the concept of scan blindness elimination. Finally, the influence of other antenna parameters at the presence of DGS in the array system has been studied. Prototype antennas of sixteen-element array with and without resonator have been fabricated, measured, and the idea has been verified. A good agreement is observed between measured and simulated results.
1. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert, "Scan blindness in infinite phased arrays of printed dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 32, No. 6, 602-610, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143375
2. Ghosh, C. K. and S. K. Parui, "Elimination of scan blindness of microstrip array by using I-shaped λ/2 resonator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 2, 334-337, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28094
3. Farsi, S., H. Aliakbarian, B. Nauwelaers, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Mutual coupling reduction between planar antenna by using a simple microstrip U-section," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1501-1503, Dec. 9, 2012.
4. Habashi, A., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Mutual coupling reduction between very closely spaced patch antennas using low-profile folded split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 862-865, Aug. 22, 2011.
5. Nikolic, M. M., A. Djordjevic, and A. Nehorai, "Microstrip antennas with suppressed radiation in horizontal directions and reduced coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3469-3476, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858847
6. Zhang, L., J. A. Castaneda, and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Scan blindness free phased array design using PBG materials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2000-2007, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.832516
7. Iluz, Z., R. Shavit, and R. Bauer, "Microstrip antenna phased array with electromagnetic band gap substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 6, 1446-1453, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.830252
8. Fu, Y. and N. Yuan, "Elimination of scan blindness in phased array of microstrip patches using electromagnetic band gap materials," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation letters, Vol. 3, 63-65, 2004.
9. Yang, F. and Y. R. Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
10. Ghosh, C. K. and S. K. Parui, "Reduction of mutual coupling between E-shaped microstrip antenna array by using a simple microstrip I-section," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 11, 2544-2549, Nov. 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27928
11. Hou, D. B., S. Xiao, B.-Z. Wang, L. Jiang, J. Wang, and W. Hong, "Elimination of scan blindness with compact defected ground structures in microstrip phased array," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 2, 269-275, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20080037
12. Sainati, R. A., CAD of Micro Strip Antenna for Wireless Applications, Artech House, Inc., 1996.