Selective wavelength tuning of multiple quantum well based infrared photodetector is achieved by nonuniform doping distribution as well as dimensional variation in the structure. Result is obtained from the computation of the intersubband transition energy through self-consistent solution of the Poisson's and Schrödinger equations with appropriate boundary conditions. Absorption coefficient is estimated in presence of external electric field applied along the direction of confinement. Suitable choice of structural parameters is required to tailor the peak position of absorption spectra for application in the infrared range as optical receiver.
4. Levine, B. F., "Quantum-well infrared photodetectors," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 74, No. 8, R1, 1993. doi:10.1063/1.354252
5. Cen, L. B., B. Shen, Z. X. Qin, and G. Y. Zhang, "Near-infrared two-color intersubband transitions in AlN /GaN coupled double quantum wells," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 105, No. 5, 053106, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3091280
6. Jdidi, A., N. Sfina, S. A. Nassrallah, M. Said, and J. L. Lazzari, "A multi-color quantum well photodetector for mid- and long-wavelength infrared detection," Semiconductor Science & Technology, Vol. 26, No. 12, 125019, 2011. doi:10.1088/0268-1242/26/12/125019
7. Fauci, M. A., R. Breiter, W. Cabanski, W. Fick, R. Koch, J. Zeigler, and S. D. Gunapala, "Medical infrared imaging --- Differentiating facts from fiction, and the impact of high precision quantum well infrared photodetector camera systems, and other factors, in its reemergence," Infrared Physics & Technology, Vol. 42, No. 3-5, 337-344, 2001. doi:10.1016/S1350-4495(01)00093-7
8. Eker, S. U., M. Kaldirim, Y. Arslan, and C. Besikci, "Large-format voltage-tunable dual-band quantum-well infrared photodetector focal plane array for third-generation thermal imagers," IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 29, No. 10, 1121-1123, 2008. doi:10.1109/LED.2008.2002538
9. Zhou, T., R. Zhang, X. G. Guo, and Z. Y. Tan, "Terahertz imaging with quantum well photodetectors," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1109-1111, 2012. doi:10.1109/LPT.2012.2196033
10. Gunapala, S. D., B. F. Levine, L. Pfeiffer, and K. West, "Dependence of the performance of GaAs/AlGaAs quantum well infrared photodetectors on doping and bias," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 69, No. 9, 6517-6520, 1991. doi:10.1063/1.348861
11. Yang, Y., H. C. Liu, W. Z. Shen, N. Li, W. Lu, Z. R. Wasilewski, and M. Buchanan, "Optimal doping density for quantum-well infrared photodetector performance," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 45, No. 6, 623-628, 2009. doi:10.1109/JQE.2009.2013119
12. Steele, A. G., H. C. Liu, M. Buchanan, and Z. R. Wasilewski, "Importance of the upper state position in the performance of quantum well intersubband infrared detectors," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 59, No. 27, 3625-3627, 1991. doi:10.1063/1.106379
13. Steele, A. G., H. C. Liu, M. Buchanan, and Z. R. Wasilewski, "Influence of the number of wells in the performance of multiple quantum well intersubband infrared detectors," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 72, No. 3, 1062-1064, 1992. doi:10.1063/1.351833
14. Liu, H. C., G. C. Aers, M. Buchanan, Z. R. Wasilewski, and D. Landheer, "Intersubband photocurrent from the quantum well of an asymmetrical double-barrier structure," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 70, No. 2, 935-940, 1991. doi:10.1063/1.349602
15. Ting, D. Z.-Y., C. J. Hill, A. Soibel, S. A. Keo, J. M. Mumolo, J. Nguyen, and S. D. Gunapala, "A high-performance long-wavelength superlattice complementary barrier infrared detector," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 95, No. 2, 023508, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3177333
16. Machhadani, H., Y. Kotsar, S. Sakr, M. Tchernycheva, R. Colombelli, J. Mangeney, E. Bellet-Amalric, E. Sarigiannidou, E. Monroy, and F. H. Julien, "Terahertz intersubband absorption in GaN/AlGaN step quantum wells," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 97, No. 19, 191101, 2010. doi:10.1063/1.3515423
17. Manasreh, O., Semiconductor Heterojunctions and Nanostructures, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2005.