A high gain wideband antenna array with an omnidirectional radiation pattern is presented for base station. The antenna array is composed of four elements and a circular four-way power divider. The proposed planar antenna element consists of four pairs of arc dipoles and a balun, which can achieve a better impedance match and a wider frequency range. Furthermore, the conductor ground of the power divider with a larger size than the element is placed under the four antennas, which can also enhance the peak gain. The antenna array is simulated, fabricated and measured. The measurement results show that the proposed antenna array can achieve a bandwidth from 1.62 GHz to 2.43 GHz or a relative bandwidth of 39.4%. The antenna array has a peak gain of 6.4-7.2 dBi in the work band and obtains a radiation efficiency of 88%. The simulated and measured results show that the proposed antenna array is a good candidate as a base station antenna for GSM, PCS, and UMTS applications.
"A Broadband Omnidirectional Antenna Array for Base Station," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 54, 95-101, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14082703
1. Chen, J. Y., X. M. Zhang, X. W. Dai, C. B. Zhang, and C. Jiang, "A broadband dual-polarization ceiling-mounted antenna with a nesting structure," Proc. ISSSE, Vol. 2, 1-3, 2010.
2. Herscovici, N., Z. Sipus, and P.-S. Kildal, "The cylindrical omnidirectional patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 12, 1746-1753, Dec. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.982455
3. Quan, X. and R. Li, "A broadband dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for base stations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 2, 943-947, Feb. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2223450
4. Zhang, G. G., H. Zhang, Z. L. Yuan, and Z. M. Wang, "A novel broadband E-plane omnidirectional planar antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5–6, 663-670, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036296
5. Yu, Y., F. Jolani, and Z. Chen, "A wideband omnidirectional horizontally polarized antenna for 4G LTE applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 686-689, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2264545
6. Chen, X., K. Huang, and X.-B. Xu, "A novel planar slot array antenna with omnidirectional pattern," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 12, 4853-4857, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2165481
7. Wong, K., F. Hsiao, and T. Chiou, "Omnidirectional planar dipole array antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 2, 624-628, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823897
8. Oh, J. and K. Sarabandi, "Low profile vertically polarized omnidirectional wideband antenna with capacitively coupled parasitic elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 2, 977-982, Feb. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2291891
9. Chizhik, D., J. Ling, and R. A. Valenzuela, "The effect of electric field polarization on indoor propagation," IEEE 1998 International Conference on Universal Personal Communications ICUPC’ 98, Vol. 1, 459-462, Oct. 5-9, 1998.
10. Quan, X. L., R. L. Li, J. Y. Wang, and Y. H. Cui, "Development of a broadband horizontally polarized omnidirectional planar antenna and its array for base station," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 441-456, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12042405
11. Qing, X. and Z. N. Chen, "A compact metamaterial-based horizontally polarized omnidirectional antenna array," 2013 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1792-1793, Jul. 2013.
12. Wei, K., Z. Zhang, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "A MNG-TL loop antenna array with horizontally polarized omnidirectional patterns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2702-2710, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2194643