The analytical expressions for corona discharge currents are usually represented by the mathematic models based on curve fitting method. For the complex mechanisms, none of these currently models can describe a measured corona current with arbitrary waveforms. A novel curve fitting method using BP neural network (BPNN) technique is applied to describe the mathematic model of the corona currents in time domain. The analytical expressions for the currents can be established via extracting the weights and thresholds parameters of the trained BPNN. The expressions all have the same structure which has only four types of parameters, and the structure is independent of the corona current waveforms. A curve fitting for the measured corona currents with arbitrary waveforms by different models was carried out, and the results were analyzed, which indicate that the BPNN method performs best. Compared with the current expressions fitted by the double exponential function and Gaussian function, the expressions by BPNN can fit the current waveforms with the lowest mean square error (MSE) in time domain and the highest accuracy to spectra of the currents in frequency domain. The proposed method is suitable for establishing a unified analytical expressions model for corona currents with arbitrary shapes.
"A Novel Analytical Expressions Model for Corona Currents Based on Curve Fitting Method Using Artificial Neural Network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 41, 51-62, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERM14111605
1. Liu, X. H., W. He, F. Yang, H. Y. Wang, R. J. Liao, and H. G. Xiao, "Numerical simulation and experimental validation of a direct current air corona discharge under atmospheric pressure," Chin. Phys. B, Vol. 21, No. 7, 0752011-10, 2012.
2. Morrow, R., "Theory of positive corona in SF6 due to a voltage impulse," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 19, No. 2, 86-94, 1991. doi:10.1109/27.106801
5. Wangninger, G., "Discharge currents of free moving particles in GIS," 10th Int.Symp.on High Voltage Engineering Dielectrics and Insulation, Vol. 2, 219-222, Montreal, QC, Canada, 1997.
6. Arin, N. and W. Blumer, "Transient electromagnetic fields due to switching operations in electric power systems," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 29, No. 3, 233-237, 1987.
7. Judd, M. D., O. Farish, and B. F. Hampton, "Modelling partial discharge excitation of UHF signals in waveguide structures using Green’s functions," IEE Proc. Meas. and Technol., Vol. 143, No. 1, 63-70, 1996. doi:10.1049/ip-smt:19960029
8. Maruvada, P. S., Corona Performance of High-Voltage Transmission Lines, 114, Research Studies Press LTD, Baldock, 2000.
9. Judd, M. D., "Using finite difference time domain techniques to model electrical discharge phenomena," IEEE Conf. on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, 518-521, Victoria, BC, Canada, 2000.
10. Nayak, S. K. and M. J. Thomas, "An integro-differential equation technique for the computation of radiated EMI due to corona on HV power transmission lines," IEEE T Power Delivery., Vol. 20, No. 1, 489-493, 2005.
11. Nayak, S. K. and M. J. Thomas, "A novel technique for the computation of radiated EMI due to corona on HV transmission lines," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 738-742, August 18-22, 2003.
12. Fu, H. Z., Y. J. Xie, and J. Zhang, "Analysis of corona discharge interference on antennas on composite airplanes," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 50, No. 4, 822-827, 2008. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2008.2004598
13. Liao, R. J., F. F. Wu, X. H. Liu, F. Yang, L. J. Yang, Z. Zhou, and L. Zhou, "Numerical simulation of transient space charge distribution of DC positive corona discharge under atmospheric pressure air," Acta Phys. Sin., Vol. 61, No. 24, 245201-11, 2012.
14. Reid, A. J., M. D. Judd, B. G. Stewart, and R. A. Fouracre, "Partial discharge current pulses in SF6 and the effect of superposition of their radiometric measurement," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 39, 4167-4177, 2006. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/39/19/008
15. Zhou, Q., J. Tang, M. Tang, Y. B. Xie, and M. J. Liu, "Mathematic model of four typical defects for UHF partial discharge in GIS," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 26, No. 8, 99-105, 2006.
16. Merbahi, N., M. Yousfi, and J. P. Gardou, "Electric and spectroscopic analysis of surface corona discharges in ambient air and comparison with volume corona discharges," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 40, No. 4, 1167-1176, 2012. doi:10.1109/TPS.2012.2184804
17. Daisuke, O., "Time-lag properties of corona streamer discharges between impulses sphere and dc needle electrodes under atmospheric air conditions," Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 84, 024702, 2013.
18. Wang, P., G. X. Zhang, J. Zhou, and C. Gu, "Optical micro-current transducer for the measurement of corona discharge current under high voltage environment," Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, 1-3, Warsaw, Poland, May 1–3, 2007.