A novel printed reconfigurable square slot antenna with switchable right/left-handed circular-polarization (CP) and switchable dual-band performances for use in DCS/WiMAX applications is designed and manufactured. In the proposed antenna, in order to create a reconfigurable structure with switchable dual-band performance, a meander-line shaped radiating stub is utilized. This radiating stub can select between two operating frequency bands with respect to the number of its steps, and also right- or left-handed circular polarization at one of the operating bands (WiMAX) is determined by the growth direction of this meander-line structure. Moreover, through embedding an L-shaped slot on the ground section, circular polarization can be provided for the other operating frequency band (DCS). Having right or left handed circular polarization at this frequency band can be determined by the location and orientation of the L-shaped slot on the ground plane. In order to achieve a reconfigurable antenna structure with simultaneous switchable dual-band and circular polarization functions, six PIN diodes were utilized. The designed antenna has a small size of 30×30 mm. Simulated and experimental results obtained for the designed antenna reveal good radiation behavior within the DCS (1.85 GHz) and WiMAX (3.5 GHz) frequency ranges.
Naser Ojaroudi Parchin,
"CPW-Fed Small Slot Antenna with Reconfigurable Circular Polarizion and Impdeance Bandwidth Characteristics for DCS/WiMAX
Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 56, 65-72, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC14122901
1. Wong, K. L., F. S. Chang, and T. W. Chiou, "Low-cost broadband circularly polarized probe-fed patch antenna for WLAN base station," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 526-529, 2002. doi:10.1109/APS.2002.1016137
2. Kraus, J. D., Antennas, 2nd Ed., Chapter 7, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.
3. Chair, R., S. L. S. Yang, A. A. Kishk, K. F. Lee, and K. M. Luk, "Aperture fed wideband circularly polarized rectangular stair shaped dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1350-1352, Apr. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.872665
4. Haneishi, M. and Y. Suzuki, "Circular polarization and bandwidth," Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, J. R. James and P. S. Hall, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1989.
5. Beigmohammadi, G., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, and M. Ojaroudi, "Small square slot antenna with circular polarisation characteristics for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 10, 672-673, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.0623
6. Sze, J. Y., K. L. Wong, and C. C. Huang, "Coplanar waveguide-fed square slot antenna for broadband circularly polarised radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 8, 2141-2144, Aug. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.815421
7. Chen, Y. B., X. F. Liu, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "CPW-fed broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 19, 1074-1075, Sep. 14, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20062048
8. Badamchi, B., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, and A. Valizade, "A design of compact reconfigurable UWB slot antenna with switchable single/dual band notch functions," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, 1-8, 2013.
9. Valizade, A., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, and M. Ojaroudi, "A novel design of reconfigurable slot antenna with switchable band notch and multi-resonance functions for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1166-1169, Oct. 2012.
10. Fukusako, T. and L. Shafai, "Circularly polarized broadband antenna with L-shaped probe and wide slot," Proc. ANTEM/URSI, 445-448, 2006.
11. Rezaiesarlak, R. and M. Manteghi, "Complex-natural-resonance-based design of chipless RFID tag for high-density data," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 2, 898-904, Feb. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2290998
12. Ojaroudi, M. and A. Faramarzi, "Multi-resonance small square slot antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 53, No. 9, Sep. 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.26214
13. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulation (HFSS), Ver. 13, Ansoft Corporation, 2010.
14. Ojaroudi, M., S. Yzdanifard, N. Ojaroudi, and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Band-notched small square-ring antenna with a pair of T-shaped strips protruded inside the square ring for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 227-230, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2131630
15. BAR64-3W, "Silicon PIN diode,", Infineon.
16. Lui, W. J., et al., "Frequency notched ultra wideband microstrip slot antenna with a fractal tuning stub," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, 294-296, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20058420