This paper presents the design, simulation and measurements of wideband two-stage LNAs using commercially available discrete components and targeting Square Kilometre Array (SKA) focal-plane-array verification studies. The design optimization was implemented through simulations based on theoretical work that shows that low wide-band noise figures and power match are achievable by inner-stage component selection and device bias. In contrast to the conventional practice of having each stage of a discrete LNA matched to 50 Ω, the inner stage was designed with a mismatching capacitor between the two stages. The measured results are presented for 0.7-1.4 GHz and achieve noise figures below 0.4 dB, gain of at least 28 dB, mid-band input return loss of 7 dB, output P1dB of 18.3 dBm, input-referred IP3 of -15.47 dBm, and power consumption of 500 mW with a supply voltage of 5 V.
James W. Haslett,
"Wide-Band Two-Stage GaAs
LNA for Radio Astronomy," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 56, 119-124, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15011504
2. Belostotski, L., "Comparison of LNAs fabricated in 65-nm CMOS GP and LP processes for the square kilometre array," IEICE Electronic Express, Vol. 9, 636-641, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1587/elex.9.636
3. Belostotski, L. and J. W. Haslett, "Sub-0.2 dB noise figure wideband room-temperature CMOS LNA with non-50Ω signal-source impedance," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 42, 2492-2502, Nov. 2007. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2007.907172
4. Belostotski, L., et al. "The first CMOS LNA on a radio telescope," IEEE International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics, 1-3, 2014.
5. Belostotski, L. and J. W. Haslett, "Wide band room temperature 0.35-dB noise figure LNA in 90-nm bulk CMOS," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 221-224, Long Beach, 2007.
6. Hu, R., "An 8-20-GHz wide-band LNA design and the analysis of its input matching mechanism," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, 528-530, 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.837063
7. Belostotski, L., J.W. Haslett, and B. Veidt, "Wide-band CMOS low noise amplifier for applications in radio astronomy," IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1347-1350, Kos, Greece, 2006.
8. Avago Technologies, "MGA-16516 low noise, high linearity match pair low noise amplifier,", AV02-1980EN Data Sheet, Jul. 7, 2009.
9. Belostotski, L. and J. W. Haslett, "Noise figure optimization of wide-band inductively-degenerated CMOS LNAs," IEEE Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1002-1005, Montreal, 2007.
10. Veidt, B., et al. "Development of a low-noise wide-band phased-array feed," URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 1-4, 2011. doi:10.1109/URSIGASS.2011.6123729
11. Gray, A. D., et al. "Activites of the Dominion radio astrophysical observatory," URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 1-4, 2011. doi:10.1109/URSIGASS.2011.6123728
12. De Vaate, J. G. B., et al. "Low cost low noise phased-array feeding systems for SKA pathfinders," International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics and the Canadian Radio Science Meeting, 1-4, 2009. doi:10.1109/ANTEMURSI.2009.4805045
13. Bhaumik, S. and D. George, "Review of square kilometre array LNA technologies and topologies," Wide Field Astronomy & Technology for the Square Kilometre Array, 279-282, Chateau de Limelette, Belgium, 2009.