In this paper, a novel printed microstrip-fed monopole ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with triple-notched bands using triple-mode stepped impedance resonator (SIR) is presented. The proposed triple-mode SIR is found to have the advantages of introducing triple-notched bands and providing higher degree of freedom to adjust the resonant frequencies. By coupling the triple-mode SIR beside the microstrip feedline, band-rejected filtering properties around the 5.2 GHz WLAN band, the 6.8 GHz RFID band, and the X-band satellite communication band, are generated. To validate the design concept, a novel compact UWB antenna with three notched bands is designed and measured. Results indicate that the proposed compact antenna not only retains triple band-rejections capability but also owns omni directional radiation patterns across nearly whole operating bandwidth for UWB communications.
1. Revision of Part 15 of the Commission’s Rules Regarding Ultra-wideband Transmission Systems, First Note and Order Federal Communications Commission, , ET-Docket 98–153, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007393
3. Naser-Moghadasi, M., H. Rousta, and B. S. Virdee, "Compact UWB planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1382-1385, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2033952
4. Mazinani, S. M. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel broadband plate-loaded planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1123-1126, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048851
5. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, and Y. Lu, "Miniaturization of planar monopole antenna for ultra-wideband radios," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2420-2422, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2283873
6. Zhao, J.-D., J.-P. Wang, G. Zhang, and J.-L. Lin, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands using E-shaped resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 12, 638-640, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.886157
7. Lee, W.-S., D.-Z. Kim, K.-J. Kim, and J.-W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 2800-2806, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.858969
8. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, 766-768, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20040302
9. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra wideband antenna having a frequency band notch functions," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 403-405, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20080484
10. Yin, K. and J. P. Xu, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with dual bandstop characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 453-454, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.24792
11. Bi, D.-H., Z.-Y. Yu, S.-G. Mo, and X.-C. Yin, "Two new ultra-wideband antennas with 3.4/5.5GHz dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave Opt. Tech. Nol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2942-2945, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.22892
12. Ding, J., Z. Lin, Z. Ying, and S. He, "A compact ultra-wideband slot antenna with multiple notch frequency bands," Microwave Opt. Tech. Nol. Lett., Vol. 49, 3056-3060, 2007. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.724189
13. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, J. S. Mandeep, and A. T. Mobashsher, "A planar circular ring ultrawideband antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 14-15, 2022-2032, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2314486
14. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Dual band-notch UWB antenna with single tri-arm resonator," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 670-673, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.24076
15. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, J. Y. Zhou, and Z. Q. Kuai, "Design and implementation of planar ultrawideband antennas characterized by multiple notched bands," Microwave Opt. Tech. Nol. Lett., Vol. 51, 520-525, 2009.