The concept of Scattering-Induced Mutual Coupling Effect (SIMCE) is proposed, and the mechanism of producing this phenomenon in Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) communication systems at MilliMeter Wave (MMW) band is demonstrated. The model of estimating the scattering-induced mutual impedance in rain environment is derived, and the characteristics of Rain-Induced Scattering Mutual Impedance (RISMI) are discussed taking parabolic antennas as an example. The model of estimating the rain-induced mutual impedance is helpful for investigating the SIMCE in other discrete random media. And, the results given in this paper are significant for developing MMW MIMO communication systems.
1. Gong, S. H., D. X. Wei, X. W. Xue, and M. Y. H. Chen, "Study on the channel model and BER performance of single-polarization satellite-earth MIMO communication systems at Ka band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 10, 5282-5297, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2342754
2. Svantesson, T. and A. Ranheim, "Mutual coupling effects on the capacity of multi-element antenna systems," Proc. IEEE ICASSP 2001, 2485-2488, Salt Lake City, UT, 2001.
3. McNamara, D. P., M. A. Beach, and P. N. Fletcher, "Experimental investigation into the impact of mutual coupling on MIMO communications systems," Proc. of Int. Symp. on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications, Vol. 1, No. 9, 169-173, 2001.
4. Fletcher, P. N., M. Dean, and A. R. Nix, "Mutual coupling in multi-element array antennas and its influence on MIMO channel capacity," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 4, 342-342, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030219
5. Clerckx, B., D. Vanhoenacker-Janvier, C. Oestges, and L. Vandendorpe, "Mutual coupling effects on the channel capacity and the space-time processing of MIMO communication systems," IEEE Int. Conf. Communication’03, 2638-2642, 2003. doi:10.1109/ICC.2003.1204425
6. Ji, L., "Studies on modeling and simulation of multiple-input multiple-output wireless channel and analysis of channel properties with mutual coupling,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Department National University of Defense Technology, Changsha, China, 2006.
7. Fang, Y., "Array antenna mutual coupling analysis," Hans Journal of Wireless Communications, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1-13, 2013. doi:10.12677/HJWC.2013.31003
8. Cheng, Y., et al., "Multi-SVD based subspace estimation to improve angle estimation accuracy in bistatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 93, No. 7, 2003-2009, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2012.12.021
9. Yun, J. X. and R. G. Vaughan, "Evaluating multi-element antennas using equivalent number of antenna elements," IEEE 2013 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 89-32, 2013.
10. Dehghani, E. M. and R. G. Vaughan, "On the power delay profile and delay spread for the physics-based simulated mobile channel," IEEE 2013 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 959-963, 2013.
11. Sanchez-Hernandez, D., M. Rumney, R. J. Pirkl, and M. H. Landmann, "MIMO over-the-air research, development and testing," International Journal of Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 3, 601-617, 2012.
12. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, 2005.
13. Xue, C. F. and W. J. Qiu, Antenna Theory and Design, Northwest Telecommunication Engineering Institute Press, Xi’an, 1985.
14. Wei, W. Y. and D. M. Gong, Antenna Theory, National Defense Industry Press, Beijing, 1985.
15. Thomas, A. M., Modern Antenna Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, 2005.
16. Gong, S. H. and J. Y. Huang, "Accurate analytical model of equivalent dielectric constant for rain medium," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1775-1783, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939306779292228
17. Ishimaru, A., Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media, IEEE Press, New York, 1978.
18. Gong, S. H., "Study on some problems for radio wave propagating and scattering through troposphere,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Department Science, Xidian University, Xi’an, China, 2008.
19. Spigel, M. R., J. Liu, and G. J. Hademenos, Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1968.
20. Grewal, M. S., L. R. Weill, and A. P. Andrews, Global Positioning System, Inertial Navigation, and Integration, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, 2001.
22. Jiang, H., M. Sano, and M. Sekine, "Weibull raindrop-size distribution and its application to rain attenuation," IEEE Proc. — Microw. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 144, No. 3, 197-200, 1997. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19971193