A novel microstrip tri-band bandpass filter is proposed and implemented using hybrid resonator with independently controllable center frequencies and good in-between isolation. This hybrid resonator is constructed by a stepped-impedance stub resonator and a single end shorted resonator. The stepped-impedance stub resonators are applied to achieve the first and second passband, while the third passband is implemented by single end shorted resonators. By applying the even-odd mode approach, the resonance frequency ratio between even mode and odd mode inside the stepped-impedance stub resonators is attained. Furthermore, the filter with multi-path coupling structure can generate the transmission zeros at the edge of the passband, which can effectively improve the filter passband selectivity. Finally, a tri-band filter operating at 1.91, 2.73, and 3.45 GHz is designed and fabricated. The measurement results accord well with the full-wave electromagnetic designed responses.
1. Gao, L., J. Xiang, and Q. Xue, "Novel compact tri-band bandpass filter using multi-stub-loaded resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 139-145, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14041504
2. Gao, L., X.-Y. Zhang, B.-J. Hu, and Q. Xue, "Novel multi-stub loaded resonators and their applications to various bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 62, No. 5, 1162-1172, May 2014. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2014.2314680
3. Zhang, X. Y., L. Gao, Z. Y. Cai, and X.-L. Zhao, "Novel tri-band bandpass filter using stub-loaded short-ended resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, 81-92, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13040205
4. Peng, Y., L. Zhang, Y. Leng, and J. Guan, "A compact tri-band passband filter based on three embedded bending stub resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 189-197, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL12111804
5. Liu, H.-W., Y. Wang, X.-M. Wang, J.-H. Lei, and W.-Y. Xu, "Compact and High selectivity tri-band bandpass filter using multimode stepped-impedance resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 10, 536-538, Oct. 2013. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2251618
6. Hsu, C.-G., C.-H. Lee, and Y.-H. Hsieh, "Tri-band bandpass filter with sharp passband skirts designed using tri-section SIRs," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 1, 19-21, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.911976
7. Liu, B. and Y. Zhao, "Compact tri-band bandpass filter for WLAN and WiMAX using tri-section stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 45, 39-44, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14011807
8. Ghatak, R., M. Pal, P. Sarkar, A.-K. Aditya, and D. R. Poddar, "Tri-band bandpass filters using modified tri-section stepped impedance resonator with improved selectivity and wide upper stopband," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 15, 1187-1193, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0183
9. Yang, S., B. Wu, C. Zhu, Y. Wang, and C.-H. Liang, "Compact and high selectivity tri-band bandpass filter using multipath-embedded resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 50, 35-40, 2014.
10. Liu, S.-K. and F.-Z. Zheng, "A new compact tri-band bandpass filter using step impedance resonators with open stubs," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 1, 130-139, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939312798954856
11. Xu, J., W. Wu, and C. Miao, "Compact microstrip dual-/tri-/quad-band bandpass filter using open stubs loaded shorted stepped-impedance resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 61, No. 9, 3187-3199, Sep. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2273759
12. Wei, X.-B., P. Wang, P. Gao, Z.-Q. Xu, J.-X. Liao, L. Jin, and Y. Shi, "Compact tri-band bandpass filter using open stub loaded tri-section λ/4 stepped impedance resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 8, 512-514, Aug. 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2014.2318899
13. Li, J., S. S. Huang, and J. Z. Zhao, "Design of a compact and high selectivity tri-band bandpass filter using asymmetric stepped-impedance resonators (SIRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 44, 81-86, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL13112502
14. Chen, W.-Y., M.-H. Weng, S.-J. Chang, H. Kuan, and Y.-H. Su, "A new tri-band bandpass filter for GSM, WiMAX and ultra-wideband responses by using asymmetric stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 365-381, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11122010
15. Luo, S., L. Zhu, and S. Sun, "Compact dual-mode triple-band bandpass filters using three pairs of degenerate modes in a ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 59, No. 5, 1222-1229, May 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2123106
16. Liu, J.-C., F.-S. Huang, C.-P. Kuei, and C.-Y. Liu, "Compact dual-mode double square-loop resonators for WLAN and WiMAX tri-band filter design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 101-113, 2013.
17. Lai, X., C.-H. Liang, H. Di, and B. Wu, "Design of tri-band filter based on stub loaded resonator and DGS resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 5, 265-267, May 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2045584
18. Chen, F.-C. and Q.-X. Chu, "Design of compact tri-band bandpass filter using assembled resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 165-171, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2008963
19. Gao, L. and X.-Y. Zhang, "High-selectivity dual-band bandpass filter using a quad-mode resonator with source-load coupling," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 9, 474-476, Sep. 2013. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2274995
20. Hong, J.-S., Microstrip Filter for RF/Microwave Applications, 2nd Ed., Chapter 8, Wiley, New York, 2011.
21. Lee, S.-Y. and C.-M. Tsai, "New cross-coupled filter design using improved hairpin resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2482-2490, Dec. 2000. doi:10.1109/22.899002