This paper introduces a new volumetric conical notch-band antenna. Structure of this antenna is in contrast with planar and printed band rejection antennas currently existing in almost all of the literatures. The radiation pattern of the proposed antenna is symmetrical and stable against frequency variation, while planar and printed antenna types suffer from high variation of their radiation pattern with frequency, and consequently asymmetric and unstable omnidirectional behavior. The frequency band of the antenna is notched with two slots implemented on the antenna structure. Uniform various frequency band rejections are achieved by changing the slots dimensions and position. Both measured and simulation results of manufactured antenna show the frequency bandwidth of the antenna is from 3 to 4.9 GHz and from 6.2 to 11 GHz with reflection coefficient less than -10 dB. Moreover, the antenna notches the frequency band from 4.9 to 6.2 GHz with nearly uniform reflection coefficient level of approximately -3 dB. Stable radiation pattern and proper range of frequency band rejection make the designed antenna an appropriate candidate for the use in UWB and indoor communication systems.
1. Federal Communications Commission, "1st report and order on ultra-wideband technology,", Feb. 2002.
2. Kerkhoff, A. and H. Ling, "Design of a planar monopole antenna for use with ultra-wideband (UWB) having a band-notched characteristic," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 830-833, Columbus, OH, Jun. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.874354
3. Jun Cho, Y., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S. O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, May 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.22113
4. Huang, C. Y. and W. C. Hsia, "Planar ultra-wideband antenna with a frequency notch characteristic," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 2, 316-320, Feb. 2007.
5. Yoon, H., H. Kim, K. Chang, Y. J. Yoon, and Y. H. Kim, "A study on the UWB antenna with band-rejection characteristics," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 1784-1787, Jun. 2004. doi:10.1080/09205071.2013.821676
6. Karmakar, A., R. Ghatak, U. Banerjee, and D. R. Poddar, "An UWB antenna using modified Hilbert curve slot for dual band notch characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 13, 1620-1631, 2013. doi:10.1080/09205071.2013.852486
7. Gorai, A., A. Karmakar, M. Pal, and R. Ghatak, "Multiple fractal-shaped slots-based UWB antenna with triple-band notch functionality," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 18, 2407-2415, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC14070701
8. Biswas, B., R. Ghatak, A. Karmakar, and D. R. Poddar, "Dual band notched UWB monopole antenna using embedded omega slot and fractal shaped ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 53, 177-186, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.21283
9. Gao, Y., B. L. Ooi, and A. P. Popov, "Band-notched ultra wideband ring monopole antenna," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 1, 125-126, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20051090
10. Kim, K. H., Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 14, 783-786, Jul. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036279
11. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "A simple ultra wideband planar rectangular printed antenna with band dispensation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 1, 27-34, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2046839
12. Wu, S. J., C. H. Kang, K. H. Chen, and J. H. Tarng, "Study of an ultera wideband monopole antenna with a band-notched open-looped resonator," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1890-1897, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.874895
13. Lee, W. S., D. Z. Kim, K. J. Kim, and J. W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2800-2806, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2114090
14. Peng, L. and C. L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, Apr. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2044323
15. Daviu, E. A., M. C. Fabres, M. F. Bataller, and V. M. R. Penarrocha, "Modal analysis and design of band-notched UWB planar monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1457-1467, May 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5723225
16. Wu, W. and Y. P. Zhang, "Analysis of ultra-wideband printed planar quasi-monopole antennas using the theory of characteristic modes," IEEE Antennas and Propagat. Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 6, 67-77, Dec. 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC09121404
17. Wang, H., H. Zhang, X. Liu, and K. Huang, "A CPW-fed ultra-wideband planar inverted cone antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 101-112, 2010.
18. Thwin, S. S., "Compact band-notched UWB printed planar inverted cone antennas," International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 6, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2010.2441
19. Hu, Z. H., P. S. Hall, J. R. Kelly, and P. Gardner, "Wideband conical monopole antenna with frequency band-notched behavior," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 23, 1542-1543, Nov. 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC11111305
20. Hu, Z. H., J. R. Kelly, P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Wideband conical monopole antenna with integrated stop-band filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 223-238, 2012.
21. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, "Broadband antennas," Antenna Theory and Design, 2nd Edition, 243-246, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1998.
22. Rahmati, B. and H. R. Hassani, "Multi-notch slot loaded wide band planar plate monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 4, No. 12, 2160-2165, 2010.