Energy selective surface (ESS) proposed in recent years is one of the most effective means for defending high intensity electromagnetic wave attacking. This paper presents an improved ESS structure and its systematic design method. An ESS prototype is designed and fabricated based on a given requirement. Its insertion loss is measured in an anechoic chamber, and its shielding effectiveness is tested under HPM and UWB irradiation. Measured results show that the ESS sample meets the given requirement.
"Design and Simulation of an Improved Energy Selective Surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 60, 57-66, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15092002
1. Sabath, F., "What can be learned from documented Intentional Electromagnetic Interference (IEMI) Attacks?," General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 1-4, URSI Istanbul, 2011.
2. Sabath, F., "Classification of electromagnetic effects at system level," International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility - EMC, 1-5, Europe, Hamburg, Germany, 2008.
3. Savage, E. and W. Radasky, Overview of the Threat of IEMI(Intentional Electromagnetic Interference) International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), 312-322, Pittsburgh, USA, 2012.
4. Backstrom, M. G. and K. G. Lovstrand, "Susceptibility of electronic systems to high-power microwaves: Summary of test experience," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, 396-403, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.831814
5. Yang, C., P. Liu, and X. Huang, "A novel method of energy selective surface for adaptive hpm/emp protection," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 112-115, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2243105
6. Zurauskiene, N., S. Balevicius, and L. Zurauskiene, "Nanostructured manganite films as protectors against fast electromagnetic pulses," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 41, 2890-2895, 2013. doi:10.1109/TPS.2013.2269480
7. Tan, J., P. Liu, C. Yang, et al. "EM simulation analysis of the Energy Selective surface," High Voltage Engineering, Vol. 39, 30897-30903, 2013.
8. Nilsson, T., "Investigation of limiters for HPM and UWB front-door protection,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Linköping University, 2006.
9. Lee, K.-A. and K.-C. Ko, "Propagation model of high power electromagnetic pulse by using a serial-parallel resistors circuit," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 42, 3309-3312, 2014. doi:10.1109/TPS.2014.2342794
10. Bolioli, S. and J. C. Joly, "Front-door protection using frequency selective surface," International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), 1-4, Athens, 2009.
11. Monni, S., D. Bekers, M. van Wanum, et al. "Limiting frequency selective surface," EuMC 2009 Microwave Conference, 606-609, Rome European, 2009.
12. Monni, S., D. J. Bekers, M. van Wanum, et al. "Protection of RF electronics using tuneable frequency selective surfaces," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2009, 3170-3174, Berlin, 2009.
13. Scott, S., C. D. Nordquist, M. J. Cich, et al. "A frequency selective surface with integrated limiter for receiver protection," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, Chicago, 2012.
14. Yang, G., J. Tan, D. Sheng, et al. "Plasma limiter for Protecting against high power microwave," Journal Of Scientific & Industrial Research, Vol. 67, 685-687, 2008.
15. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surface: Theory and Design, Wiley, New York, 2000. doi:10.1002/0471723770
16. Zhang, Y., M. Yuan, and Q. Liu, "Wide band response of an electromagnetic wave shield based on a diode grid," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 141, 591-606, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13053004
17. Chang, K., I. K. Sang, and J. Y. Young, "Equivalent circuit modeling of active frequency selective surface," IEEE on Radio and Wireless Symposium, 663-666, Orlando, 2008.