A novel idea of conformal corrugated edges (CCE) is put forward in this paper for tapered slot antennas to obtain improved low-frequency characteristics. The CCE is realized using conformal slots whose two longitudinal boundary lines are modelled using curvilinear function of the curves that form the tapered slots. So the conformal slots can sufficiently corrugate edges of the tapered slot antennas with one set of structural parameters by comparing with the typical rectangular slot, which makes the corrugated edges design for tapered slot antennas much simpler. Moreover, when used to corrugating edges with the same width of a tapered slot antenna, the conformal slot is longer than the typical rectangular slot, as a result of which the CCE can better improve low-frequency characteristics of the tapered slot antennas. For verification, the CCE using exponential slot is proposed for typical Vivaldi antenna in this paper. Comparisons among antenna structures, port characteristics and radiation characteristics of Vivaldi antennas with the proposed CCE and the typical rectangular slot corrugated edge are carried out, and the Vivaldi antenna with its proposed CCE is fabricated and measured. The remarkable improvement for low-frequency characteristics demonstrates the correctness of the idea.
"Conformal Corrugated Edges for Vivaldi Antenna to Obtain Improved Low-Frequency Characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 60, 75-81, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15101306
1. Gibson, P. J., "The Vivaldi aerial," Proc. 9th Eur. Microw. Conf., 101-105, 1979.
2. Reid, E. W., L. Ortiz-Balbuena, A. Ghadiri, et al. "A 324-element Vivaldi antenna array for radio astronomy instrumentation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 1, 241-249, 2012.
3. Zhang, F., G. Y. Fang, Y. C. Ji, et al. "A novel compact double exponentially tapered slot antenna (DETSA) for GPR applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 195-198, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2123868
4. Shao, J. J., G. Y. Fang, Y. C. Ji, et al. "A novel compact tapered-slot antenna for GPR applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 972-975, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2276403
5. Cerný, P., J. Nevrlý, and M. Mazánek, "Optimization of tapered slot vivaldi antenna for UWB application," Proc. 19th Int. Conf. Appl. Electromagn. Commun., 1-4, 2007.
6. Yang, Y. and A. E. Fathy, "Development and implementation of a real-time see-through-wall radar system based on FPGA," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 47, No. 5, 1270-1280, 2009. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.2010251
7. Abbosh, A. M., "Miniaturised microstrip-fed tapered-slot antenna with ultrawideband performance," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 690-692, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2025613
8. Milligan, T. A., Modern Antenna Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2005. doi:10.1002/0471720615
9. Janaawamy, R. and D. H. Schaubert, "Analysis of the tapered slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 35, No. 9, 1058-1065, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144218
10. Sugawara, S., Y. Maita, K. Adachi, et al. "A mm-wave tapered slot antenna with improved radiation pattern," IEEE MTT-S International Symposium Digest, 959-962, 1997.
11. Taringou, F., D. Dousset, J. Bornemann, et al. "Broadband CPW feed for illimeter-wave SIW-based antipodal linearly tapered slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 4, 1756-1762, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2232270
12. Jastram, N. and D. S. Filipovic, "Wideband millimeter-wave surface micromachined tapered slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 285-288, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2304676