To enable the quest for high data rates in telecommunications, wide-band radio designs as well as antennas are required. This paper demonstrates a unique bandwidth enhancement technique for L-probe fed patch antenna. This is a novel technique to enhance patch antenna bandwidth with desired radiation properties. One circular shape main patch and two elliptical shape parasitic patches on PCB give wide-band response by exciting multiple resonances. The designed antenna array gives almost 45%, -10 dB impedance matched relative bandwidth. This is a very simple and inexpensive patch antenna solution for the wide-band wireless application. A two-element array of this antenna has been formed, and wide-band radiation properties of the array are reported.
2. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, and K.-F. Lee, "L-Probe fed thick-substrate patch antenna mounted on a finite ground plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 21, No. 21, 1955-1963, Aug. 2003.
3. Guo, Y.-X., C.-L. Mak, and K.-M. Luk, "Analysis and design of L-probe proximity fed patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 2, 145-149, Feb. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.850761
4. Li, P., K. M. Luk, and K. L. Lau, "A dual-feed dual-band L-probe patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2321-2323, Jul. 2005. doi:10.1049/el:19870748
5. Lee, R. Q. and J. Bobinchak, "Characteristics of a two-layer electromagnetically coupled rectangular patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 23, No. 20, 24, Sep. 1987.
6. Wood, C., "Improved bandwidth of microstrip antennas using parasitic elements," IEE Proc., Vol. 127, Pt. H, No. 4, Aug. 1980.
7. Islam, M. N., S. I. Karhu, and E. T. Salonen, "GPS and GSM antenna with a capacitive feed for a personal navigator device," Wireless Information Technology and Systems (ICWITS), 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823971
8. Guo, Y. X., K. M. M.W. Chia, Z. N. Chen, and K.-M. Luk, "Wide-band L-probe fed circular patch antenna for conical-pattern radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1115-1116, Apr. 2004.
9. Kishk, A. A. and L. Shafai, "The effect of various parameters of circular microstrip antennas on their radiation efficiency and mode excitation," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, 1310-1312, Aug. 1995. doi:10.1049/el:19950950
10. Huynh, T. and K. F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch wideband microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 16, 1310-1312, Aug. 1995.
11. Salamat, C. D., M. Haneishi, and Y. Kimura, "L-probe fed multiband microstrip antennas with slots," Proseeding of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2006.
12. Ali, M. T., N. Nordin, I. Pasya, and M. N. Md Tan, "H-shaped microstrip patch antenna using L-probe fed for wide-band application," 6th European Conference on Antenna and Propagation, Mar. 26-30, 2012. doi:10.1109/8.933489
13. Yang, F., X.-X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide-band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1094-1100, Jul. 2001. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858842
14. Jin, N. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Parallel particle swarm optimization and finite-difference time-domain (PSO/FDTD) algorithm for multiband and wide-band patch antenna designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3459-3468, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/8.45116
15. Bhattacharyya, A. K., "Effects of finite ground plane on the radiation characteristics of a circular patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, 152-159, Feb. 1990.
16. Lier, E. and K. R. Jakobsen, "Rectangular microstrip patch antennas with infinite and finite ground plane dimensions," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 7, 978-984, Nov. 1983.
17. Lo, W. K., K. M. Shum, C. H. Chan, and K. M. Luk, "Wide-band L-probe fed base-station antenna array for PCS communication," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 200-203, Nov. 1983.