In this paper, a compact multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna is proposed for ultra wideband (UWB) communication. The UWB MIMO antenna consists of two identical monopole antenna elements with a comb-line structure on the ground plane to improve impedance matching and enhance isolation. Simulation and measurement have been analysed in terms of reflection coefficient, mutual coupling, dispersion diagram, radiation pattern, peak gain, efficiencyand envelope correlation coefficient. Results show that the antenna has an impedance bandwidth larger than 3.1-10.6 GHz, mutual coupling between the two ports lower than -25 dB and envelope correlation coefficient less than 0.001 across the UWB band. The proposed antenna has a compact size of 26×31 mm2. All the measured and calculated results show that the proposed UWB MIMO antenna is a good candidate for UWB MIMO systems.
Mohammad Amin Honarvar,
"Design of High-Isolation Compact MIMO Antenna for UWB Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 62, 119-129, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC15120902
1. Federal Communications Commission, "Revision of Part 15 of the commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission system,", 98-153, First Report and Order, ET Docket, FCC, Washington, D.C., 2002. doi:10.2528/PIERB15090103
2. Saraswat, R. K. and M. Kumar, "A frequency band reconfigurable UWB antenna for high gain applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 64, 29-45, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERB15112703
3. Saraswat, R. K. and M. Kumar, "Miniaturized slotted ground UWB antenna loaded with metamaterial for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 65, 65-80, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERB13052305
4. Singh, H. S., B. R. Meruva, G. K. Pandey, P. K. Bharti, and M. K. Meshram, "Low mutual coupling between MIMO antennas by using two folded shorting strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 53, 205-221, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.28387
5. Bilal, M., R. Saleem, M. F. Shafique, and H. A. Khan, "MIMO application UWB antenna doublet incorporating a sinusoidal decoupling structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 1547-1553, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2037027
6. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1279-1282, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2304541
7. Arun, H., A. K. Sarma, M. Kanagasabai, S. Velan, C. Raviteja, and M. G. N. Alsath, "Deployment of modified serpentine structure for mutual coupling reduction in MIMO antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 277-280, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER12090610
8. Sharawi, M. S., A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, "Isolation improvement in a dual-band dual-element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.28574
9. Yang, D.-G., D. O. Kim, and C.-Y. Kim, "Design of dual-band MIMO monopole antenna with high isolation using slotted CSSRR for WLAN," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 2252-2257, 2014. doi:10.1080/09205071.2013.864573
10. Zhai, H., Z. Ma, and C. Liang, "Reduction of dual-band mutual couplings between two antennas by dual-band single-negative epsilon metamaterials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 3, 281-288, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2263277
11. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, 4257-4264, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2267653
12. Li, J. F., Q. X. Chu, Z. H. Li, and X. Xia, "Compact dual band-notched UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, 4759-4766, 2013.
13. Al-Hasan, M. J., T. A. Denidni, and A. R. Sebak, "Millimeter-wave compact EBG structure for mutual coupling reduction applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, 823-828, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14112104
14. Zhang, X.-Y., X. Zhong, B. Li, and Y. Yu, "A dual-polarized MIMO antenna with EBG for 5.8 GHz WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 51, 15-20, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2340395
15. Liu, L., Z. D. Wang, Y. Z. Yin, J. Ren, and J. J. Wu, "A compact ultrawideband MIMO antenna using QSCA foe high isolation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1497-1500, 2014.
16. Ren, J., W. Hu, Y. Yin, and R. Fan, "Compact printed MIMO antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1517-1520, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.1678
17. Liu, Y. F., P. Wang, and H. Qin, "Compact ACS-fed UWB antenna for diversity applications," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, 1336-1338, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0672
18. Khan, M. S., A. D. Capobianco, A. I. Najam, I. Shoaib, E. Autizi, and M. F. Shafique, "Compact ultra-wideband diversity antenna with a floating parasitic digitated decoupling structure," IET Microwaves Antenna and Propag., Vol. 8, 747-753, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2333066
19. Mao, C. X. and Q. X. Chu, "Compact coradiator UWB-MIMO antenna with dual polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 4474-4479, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.29518
20. Khan, M. S., A.-D. Capobianco, A. Iftikhar, S. Asif, and B. D. Braaten, "A compact dual polarized ultrawideband multiple-input multiple-output antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 163-166, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2015.1252
21. Khan, M. S., A. D. Capobianco, S. Asif, A. Iftikhar, B. Ijaz, and B. D. Braaten, "Compact 4 × 4 UWB-MIMO antenna with WLAN band rejected operation," Electron Lett., Vol. 51, 1048-1050, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2406892
22. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, 1917-1924, 2015.
23. Panda, J. R., A. S. R. Saladi, and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A compact 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched UWB monopole antenna with nested U-shaped slots," Computing Communication and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT), 1-6, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036279
24. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "A simple ultrawideband planar rectangular printed antenna with band dispensation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 27-34, 2010. doi:10.1109/22.798001
25. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
26. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron Lett., Vol. 39, 705-707, 2003. doi:10.1109/8.947018
27. Dietrich, C. B., K. Dietze, R. J. Nealy, and W. L. Stutzman, "Spatial polarization and pattern diversity for wireless handheld terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, 1271-1281, 2001.