Security detection is becoming extremely important with the growing threat of terrorism in recent years. An effective millimeter-wave (mmw) holographic imaging system is presented in this paper, which can be applied in nondestructive detection such as security detection in airport or other public locations. The imaging algorithm is an extension of the work before as it takes the decay of the amplitude with range into account. The experiment result of an imaging system working at 28-33 GHz frequencies indicates good quality of the algorithm.
1. Brooker, G., et al., "Millimeter wave 3D imaging for industrial applications," International Conference on Wireless Broadband and Ultra Wideband Communications, Vol. 27, 2007.
2. Chen, J., Y. Li, J. Wang, Y. Li, and Y. Zhang, "An accurate imaging algorithm for millimeter wave synthetic aperture imaging radiometer in near-field," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 517-535, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13060702
3. Gonzalez-Valdes, B., Y. Alvarez-Lopez, J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, F. Las Heras Andres, and C. M. Rappaport, "On the use of improved imaging techniques for the development of a multistatic three-dimensional millimeter-wave portal for personnel screening," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 83-98, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13021405
4. Demirci, S., H. Cetinkaya, E. Yigit, C. Ozdemir, and A. A. Vertiy, "A study on millimeter-wave imaging of concealed objects: Application using back-projection algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 457-477, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12050210
5. Appleby, R. and H. B. Wallace, "Standoff detection of weapons and contraband in the 100 GHz to 1 THz region," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 11, 2044-2056, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.908543
6. Zhang, L., Y. Hao, C. G. Parini, and J. Dupuy, "An experimental millimetre wave imaging system," Loughborough Antenna and Propagation Conf. (LAPC’08), Loughborough, UK, March 17-18, 2008.
7. Bjarnason, J. E., T. L. J. Chan, A. W. M. Lee, M. A. Celis, and E. R. Brown, "Millimeter-wave, terahertz, and mid-infrared transmission through common clothing," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 85, No. 4, 519, 2004. doi:10.1063/1.1771814
8. Guan, F.-H., et al., "Miniaturization Ka-band receiver used for passive millimeter wave imaging," J. Infrared Millim. Waves, Vol. 29, No. 4, 241-244, 2010.
9. Appleby, R., "Passive millimetre wave imaging and security," European Radar Conference, 275-278, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2004.
10. Zhang, Y.-D., et al., "Passive millimeter-wave imaging using photonic processing technology," J. Infrared Millim. Waves, Vol. 30, No. 6, 551-555, 2011. doi:10.3724/SP.J.1010.2011.00551
11. Shi, X. and M. H. Yang, "Development of passive millimeter wave imaging for concealed weapon detection indoors," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 25, No. 7, 1701-1706, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28420
12. Sheen, D. M., D. L. McMakin, and T. E. Hall, "Cylindrical millimeter-wave imaging technique and applications," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 6211, 2006.
13. McMakin, D. L., D. M. Sheen, J. W. Griffin, and W. M. Lechelt, "Extremely high-frequency holographic radar imaging of personnel and mail," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 6201, 2006.
14. Sheen, D. M., D. L. McMakin, and T. E. Hall, "Near field imaging at microwave and millimeter wave frequencies," IEEE/MTT-S International, 169-1696, 2007.
15. Sheen, D. M., D. L. McMAkin, and T. E. Hall, "Three-dimensional millimeter-wave imaging for concealed weapon detection," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1581-1592, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.942570