This paper analyzes the extremely low frequency electromagnetic wave excited by a horizontal electric dipole immersed in the sea. Analytical solutions in the air from HED underwater are deduced using a three-layer model. The effect of the sea-air interface is studied along two perpendicular directions. The electric field is inversely proportional to the square of r while the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the cube of r along the interface. By decomposing the total response into direct, up-going and down-going components, contributions of each component are discussed, indicating that interference cancellation effect occurs among the arrival electromagnetic signals from multi-paths at specific offsets and frequencies.
1. Wait, J. R., Electromagnetic Wave in Stratified Media, Pergamon, New York, 1970.
2. Schaefer, D., et al., "Conversion of UEP signatures between different environmental conditions using shaft currents," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 41, No. 1, 105-111, Mar. 2015.
3. Yaakobi, O., G. Zilman, and T. Miloh, "Detection of the electromagnetic field induced by the wake of a ship moving in a moderate sea state of finite depth," Journal of Engineering Mathematics, Vol. 70, No. 1, 17-27, Jul. 2011.
4. Bui, V. P. and W. S. Yeoh, "Propagation and channel characteristics in seawater environment," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 701-702, Jul. 2014.
5. Bush, B. F., V. K. Tripp, and K. Naishadham, "Practical modeling of radio wave propagation in shallow seawater," Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 1-2, Jul. 2012.
6. Arutaki, A. and J. Chiba, "Communication in a three-layered conducting media with a vertical magnetic dipole," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 28, No. 4, 551-556, Jul. 1980. doi:10.1109/TAP.1980.1142378
7. Chen, J. and D. L. Alumbaugh, "Three methods for mitigating airwaves in shallow water marine controlled-source electromagnetic data," Geophysics, Vol. 76, No. 2, 4542-4544, May 2011.
8. Amundsen, L., et al., "Decomposition of electromagnetic fields into upgoing and downgoing components," Geophysics, Vol. 71, No. 5, 211-223, Sep. 2006. doi:10.1190/1.2245468
9. Liu, C., L. G. Zheng, and Y. P. Li, "Study of ELF electromagnetic fields from a submerged horizontal electric dipole positioned in a sea of finite depth," IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, 2009.
10. Weaver, J. T., "The quasi-static field of an electric dipole embedded in a two-layer conducting half-space," Canadian Journal of Physics, Vol. 45, No. 6, 1981-2002, Jan. 1967. doi:10.1139/p67-156
11. King, R. W. P., "The electromagnetic field of a horizontal electric dipole in the presence of a three-layered region," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 69, No. 12, 7987-7995, 1991. doi:10.1063/1.347494
12. King, R. W. P., "The electromagnetic field of a horizontal electric dipolein the presence of a three-layered region: Supplement," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 74, No. 8, 4845-4548, 1993. doi:10.1063/1.354313
13. Liu, L. and K. Li, "Radiation from a vertical electric dipole in the presence of a three-layered region," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3469-3475, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.910355
14. Li, K. and Y. Lu, "Electromagnetic field generated by a horizontal electric dipole near the surface of a planar perfect conductor coated with a uniaxial layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3191-3200, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856374
15. Xu, Y. H., K. Li, and L. Liu, "Electromagnetic field of a horizontal electric dipole in the presence of a four-layered region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 371-391, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08012303
16. Zhi, Y. J., K. Li, and Y. T. Fang, "Electromagnetic field of a horizontal infinitely long wire over the dielectric-coated earth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 360-366, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167917
17. Zhang, H. Q., et al., "Electromagnetic field for a horizontal electric dipole buried inside a dielectric layer coated high loss half space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 163-186, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04052301
18. Liu, L., K. Li, and W. Y. Pan, "Electromagnetic field from a vertical electric dipole in a four-layered region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 213-241, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08062108
19. Zhang, J. G., et al., "Research on 3D marine electromagnetic interferometry with synthetic sources for suppressing the airwave interference," Applied Geophysics, Vol. 10, No. 4, 373-383, 2013. doi:10.1007/s11770-013-0403-3
20. Fares, S. A., et al., "Horizontal and vertical electric dipoles in a two-layer conducting medium," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 11, 5656-5665, Nov. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2355295