In this paper, we report a single layer modified T-shaped dipole antenna for UHF-RFID tag applications. The designed RFID tag antenna consists of a pair of T-shaped dipole strips loaded with four half discs patches and a tag chip placed in the center. The antenna's size is 80×40×1.6 mm3. Performance of the proposed design was investigated with simulations and measurements. The main feature of this design is that the RFID tag antenna can operate effectively at 868 MHz and 915 MHz frequency bands which make it broadband. The maximum reading range measured in an anechoic chamber is 4.25 m and 5.27 m at 915 MHz and 867.5 MHz, respectively. Furthermore, the RFID tag antenna can work on metallic plates when inserting a foam spacer between them. The final result has a simple configuration, low profile and can be suitable for practical applications dealing with free-space and metallic objects.
1. Finkenzeller, K., "Fundamentals and applications in contactless smart cards, radio frequency identification and near-field communication," RFID Handbook, 361-417, 2010. doi:10.1002/9780470665121.ch13
2. Rao, K. V. S., P. V. Nikitin, and S. F. Lam, "Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: A review and a practical application," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3870-3876, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.859919
3. Deleruyelle, T., P. Pannier, M. Egels, and E. Bergeret, "Dual band mono-chip HF-UHF tag antenna," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 1-4, Toronto, Canada, Jul. 2010.
4. Yang, L., S. S. Basat, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Design and development of novel inductively coupled RFID antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1035-1038, Jul. 9–14, 2006.
5. Nikitin, P. V., K. V. S. Rao, and S. F. Lam, "Power reflection coefficient analysis for complex impedances in RFID tag design," IEEE Trans. Microwave Thoery Tech., 2005.
6. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817559
7. Popov, A., S. Dudnikov, and A. Mikhaylov, "Passive UHF RFID tag with increased read range," Proc. European Microw. Conf., 1106-1108, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oct. 2008.
8. Chen, H. D. and Y. H. Tsao, "Low-profile PIFA array antennas for UHF band RFID tags mountable on metallic objects," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1087-1092, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2041158
9. Loo, C.-H., K. Elmahgoub, F. Yang, A. Z. Elseherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. A. Kishk, T. Elseherbeni, L. Ukkonen, L. Sydanheimo, M. Kivikoski, S. Merilampi, and P. Ruuskanen, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tagantenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08011804
10. Cho, J. H., H. W. Son, S. H. Jeong, W. K. Choi, and C.W. Park, "A flexible, wideband RFID tag antenna for metallic surfaces," Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 1-2, Chicago, IL, 2012.
11. Marrocco, G., "The art of UHF RFID antenna design: Impedance matching and size-reduction techniques," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 66-79, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4494504
12. Daiki, M., H. Chaabane, E. Perret, S. Tedjni, and T. Aguili, "RFID chip impedance measurement for UHF tag design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Abstracts, 679-680, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20–23, 2011.
14. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas, 3rd Ed., Chapter 13, McGraw-Hill, 2002.
15. Cho, C., H. Choo, and I. Park, "Broadband RFID tag antenna with quasi-isotropic radiation pattern," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 20, 1091-1092, Sept. 29, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20052337
16. Sohrab, A. P., Y. Huang, M. Hussein, M. Kod, and P. Carter, "A UHF RFID tag with improved performance on liquid bottles," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1673-1676, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2521786
17. Yamada, Y., W. G. Hong, W. H. Jung, and N. Michishita, "High gain design of a very small normal mode helical antenna for RFID tags," TENCON, 1-4, Taipei, 2007.