This paper presents a finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) method of the infinite half-space with nonuniform meshes, aiming to speed up the FDTD calculation of scattering of buried objects. Two 1-D modified FDTD equations are employed to set plane wave excitation of the infinite half-space scattering problems. In order to reduce calculation time and meshes, a method with nonuniform meshes is applied. Fine grids are used for the buried objects and underground while coarse grids are applied for other regions. The 1-D modified FDTD equations with nouniform meshes are derived, and the settings of total-field/scattering-field (TF-SF) boundary are given. Finally, the proposed method is applied to calculate the transient scattering field of a buried mine. Numerical results demonstrate the validity of the method and the simulation time is significantly reduced when compared with uniform meshes FDTD.
1. Zainud-Deen, S. H., A. Z. Botros, and M. S. Ibrahim, "Scattering from bodies coated with metamaterial using FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 279-290, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112803
2. Hu, X.-J. and D.-B. Ge, "Study on conformal FDTD for electromagnetic scattering by targets with thin coating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 305-319, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07101902
3. Wang, M. Y., et al., "FDTD study on scattering of metallic column covered by double-negative metamaterial," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1905-1914, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783152777
4. Yang, L.-X., D.-B. Ge, and B. Wei, "FDTD/TDPO hybrid approach for analysis of EM scattering of combinative objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 275-284, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07071206
5. Holland, R., "Two-pass finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) calculations on a fighter aircraft," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 5, 659-664, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.496251
6. Yardim, F. E. and N. Akcam, "Estimation of radar cross-section in rayleigh, MIE, and optical regions by the 2-D-FDTD simulation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 11, 5782-5789, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2356210
7. Liu, Y. and L. X. Guo, "FDTD investigation on GPR detecting of underground subsurface layers and buried objects," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on NEMO, 1-2, 2016.
8. Fhager, A., S. K. Padhi, and J. Howard, "3D image reconstruction in microwave tomography using an efficient FDTD model," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1353-1356, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2039032
9. Öztürk, E., E. Basaran, and S. Aksoy, "Numerical modeling of ground penetrating radar," SubChapter in Subsurface Sensing Book, from J. Wiley & Sons Inc., 2011.
10. Wong, P., G. Tyler, J. Baron, E. Gurrola, and R. Simpson, "A three-wave FDTD approach to surface scattering with applications to remote sensing of geophysical surfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 4, 504-513, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.489302
11. Winton, S. C., P. Kosmas, and C. M. Rappaport, "FDTD simulation of TE and TM plane waves at nonzero incidence in arbitrary layered media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1721-1728, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.846719
12. Jiang, Y. N., D. B. Ge, and S. J. Ding, "Analysis of TF-SF boundary for 2D-FDTD with plane P-wave propagation in layered dispersive and lossy media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 157-172, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08042201
13. Capoglu, I. R. and G. S. Smith, "A total-field/scattered-field plane-wave source for the FDTD analysis of layered media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 158-169, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.913088
14. Demarest, K., Z. Huang, and R. Plumb, "An FDTD near- to far-zone transformation for scatterers buried in stratified grounds," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 8, 1150-1157, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.511824
15. Hill, D. A., "Electromagnetic scattering by buried objects of low contrast," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 26, No. 2, 195-203, 1988. doi:10.1109/36.3021