A compact planar reconfigurable triple band-notched UWB Microstrip antenna is proposed in this paper for UWB applications. A band rejection at ITU 8-GHz is generated by inserting an inverted U-shaped metallic strip at the slotted ground plane. Moreover, by cutting two slots on radiating patch, the second rejection at 3.5 GHz for WiMAX and the third rejection at 5.5 GHz for WLAN application are generated. Then, by embedding two (PIN) diodes along the patch slots, switchable dual or single band-notched behavior is added to the antenna performance. The simulated and measured results show that the antenna can operate in a wider bandwidth from 3.1 GHz to 11 GHz, and it has a good omnidirectional radiation pattern with stable gain. Furthermore, the designed antenna has a simple structure and compact size of 20×20 mm2. The proposed antenna can use the full potential of UWB frequency range with reconfigurable band-notched behavior at 3.5, 5.5, 8.1 GHz to avoid interference with WiMAX, WLAN, ITU systems respectively.
Wael Abd Ellatif Ali,
Rana M. A. Moniem,
"Frequency Reconfigurable Triple Band-Notched Ultra-Wideband Antenna with Compact Size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 73, 37-46, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17021001
1. Ali, W. A., A. I. Zaki, and M. H. Abdou, "Design and fabrication of rectangular ring monopole array with parasitic elements for UWB applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 2268-2273, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.30021
2. Boutejdar, A. and W. Abd Ellatif, "A novel compact UWB monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth using triangular defected microstrip structure and stepped cut technique," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 1514-1519, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29820
3. Gao, F., F. Zhang, L. Lu, T. Ni, and Y. Jiao, "Low-profile dipole antenna with enhanced impedance and gain performance for wideband wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 372-375, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2252141
4. Ghaderi, M. R. and F. Mohajeri, "A compact hexagonal wide-slot antenna with microstrip-fed monopole for UWB application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 682-685, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2158629
5. Ren, X., X. Chen, Y. Liu, W. Jin, and K. Huang, "A stacked microstrip antenna array with fractal patches," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 10 pages, Article ID 542953, 2014.
6. Azim, R. and M. T. Islam, Printed Wide Slot Ultra-wideband Antenna, Advancement in Microstrip Antennas with Recent Applications, Prof. Ahmed Kishk, (Ed.), InTech, 2013, DOI: 10.5772/51961.
7. Kumar, P. and G. Singh, "Gap-coupling: A potential method for enhancing the bandwidth of microstrip antennas," Advanced Computational Techniques in Electromagnetics, Vol. 2012, 1-6, 2012. doi:10.5899/2012/acte-00110
8. Nirate, S., R. M. Yadahalli, K. K. Usha, R. M. Vani, and P. V. Hunagund, "Wideband gapcoupled suspended rectangular microstrip antenna," International Conference on Recent Advances in Microwave Theory and Applications, 2008, MICROWAVE 2008, 833-835, Jaipur, 2008. doi:10.1109/AMTA.2008.4763126
9. Mewara, H. S., M. M. Sharma, M. Sharma, and A. Dadhich, "A novel ultra-wide band antenna design using notches, stepped microstrip feed and beveled partial ground with beveled parasitic strip," 2013 IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-2, Bhubaneswar, 2013.
10. Sun, L., M. He, J. Hu, Y. Zhu, and H. Chen, "A Butterfly-shaped wideband microstrip patch antenna for wireless communication," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2015, 8 Pages, Article ID 328208, 2015.
11. Osama, H. and A.-R. Sebak, UWB Antennas for Wireless Applications, INTECH Open Access Publisher, 2013.
12. Liu, J., S. Zhong, and K. P. Esselle, "A printed elliptical monopole antenna with modified feeding structure for bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, 667-670, Feb. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2096398
13. Li, L., Z. L. Zhou, and J. S. Hong, "Compact UWB antenna with four band-notches for UWB applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 22, 1211-1212, Oct. 27, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.2334
14. Abdollahvand, M., G. Dadashzadeh, and D. Mostafa, "Compact dual band-notched printed monopole antenna for UWB application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1148-1151, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2091250
15. Zhu, F. G., S. Gao, A. T. Ho, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, T. W. C. Brown, J. Z. Li, G. Wei, and J. D. Xu, "Multiple band-notched UWB antenna with band-rejection elements integrated in the feedline," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 3952-3960, Aug. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2260119
16. Ojaroudi, N., M. Ojaroudi, and N. Ghadimi, "Dual band-notched small monopole antenna with novel W-shaped conductor backed-plane and novel T-shaped slot for UWB applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 1, 8-14, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0180
17. Sarah, J., et al., "UWB antenna with reconfigurable band-notched characteristics using ideal switches," 2014 IEEE International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), IEEE, 2014.
18. Ojaroudi, N., N. Ghadimi, Y. Ojaroudi, and S. Ojaroudi, "A novel design of microstrip antenna with reconfigurable band rejection for cognitive radio applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 2998-3003, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28754
19. Mohammad, O., N. Ojaroudi, and N. Ghadimi, "A simple design of UWB small microstrip slot antenna with band-notched performance by using a T-shaped slit and a pair of U-shaped conductor-backed plane," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 28, No. 8, 701-706, 2013.
20. Sarkar, D., K. V. Srivastava, and K. Saurav, "A compact microstrip-fed triple band-notched UWB monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 396-399, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2306812
21. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), , Ver. 13, Ansoft Corporation, 2010.
22. Abdelhalim, C. and D. Farid, "A compact planar UWB antenna with triple controllable bandnotched characteristics," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 10 pages, Article ID 848062, 2014.
23. Wang, Q. and Y. Zhang, "Design of a compact UWB antenna with triple band-notched characteristics," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 9 pages, Article ID 892765, 2014.