A novel broadband dual-polarized magneto-electric (ME) dipole antenna is proposed for 2G/3G/LTE/WiMAX applications. The proposed antenna has stair-shaped feeding strips to impart a wide impedance bandwidth to it and a rectangular box-shaped reflector to enhance its stability in radiation patterns and high gain over the operating frequencies. The measured results show that a common impedance bandwidth is 80% with standing-wave ratio (SWR) ≤ 1.5 from 1.68 to 3.92 GHz and port-to-port isolation larger than 25 dB within the bandwidth. The measured antenna gains vary from 9.2 to 12 dBi and from 9.2 to 11.8 dBi for port 1 and port 2, respectively. The antenna has nearly symmetrical radiation patterns with low back-lobe radiation both in horizontal and vertical planes, and broadside radiation patterns with narrow beam can also be obtained.
"A Broadband Dual-Polarized Magneto-Electric Dipole Antenna for 2G/3G/LTE/WiMAX
Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 73, 127-136, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17022005
1. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Broadband dual polarization patch element for cellular-phone base stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 2, 251-253, 2002. doi:10.1109/8.998004
2. Lian, R., S. S. Zhang, Y. Z. Yin, X. Y. Song, and H. Zhang, "A broadband dual-polarized printed antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 49, 23-29, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14080101
3. Zhang, X. Y., X. X. Zhong, B. C. Li, and Y. Q. Yu, "A dual-polarized MIMO antenna with EBG for 5.8 GHz WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 51, 15-20, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL14112104
4. Gou, Y., S. Yang, Q. Zhu, and Z. Nie, "A compact dual-polarized double E-shaped patch antenna with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4349-4353, Aug. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2262664
5. Zhang, J. R. and L. Z. Song, "Dual-polarized complementary structure antenna based on Babinet’s principle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 64, 29-36, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16072605
6. Ren, J., B. Wang, and Y. Z. Yin, "Low profile dual-polarized circular patch antenna with an AMC reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 47, 131-137, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14062604
7. Jiang, X., Z. Zhang, Z. Tian, Y. Li, and Z. Feng, "A low-cost dual-polarized array antenna etched on a single substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 265-268, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2248074
8. Clavin, A., "A new antenna feed having equal E- and H-plane patterns," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 3, 113-119, Jul. 1954. doi:10.1109/T-AP.1954.27983
9. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, "A complementary wideband antenna,", U.S. Patent No. 11/373,518, Mar. 2006.
10. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, "A new wideband unidirectional antenna element," Int. J. Microw. Opt. Technol., Vol. 1, 35-44, Jun. 2006.
11. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "A magneto-electric dipole antenna with low-profile and simple structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 140-142, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2244054
12. An, W. X., H. Wong, K.-L. Lau, S. F. Li, and Q. Xue, "Design of broadband dual-band dipole for base station antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1592-1595, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180336
13. Luk, K. M. and B. Q. Wu, "The magnetoelectric dipole --- A wideband antenna for base stations in mobile communications," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2297-2307, Jul. 2012.
14. He, K., S. X. Gong, and F. Gao, "A wideband dual-band magneto-electric dipole antenna with improved feeding structure," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1729-1732, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2353792
15. Siu, L., H. Wong, and K. M. Luk, "A dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole with dielectric loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 616-623, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2013430
16. An, W. X., S. F. Li, W. J. Hong, F. Z. Han, and K. P. Chen, "Design of wideband dual-band dual-polarized dipole for base station antenna," Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, Vol. 19, No. 1, 22-28, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1016/S1005-8885(11)60475-5
17. Wu, B. Q. and K. M. Luk, "A broadband dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna with simple feeds," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 60-63, 2009.
18. Xue, Q., S. W. Liao, and J. H. Xu, "A differentially-driven dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 425-430, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2214998
19. Li, M. J. and K. M. Luk, "Wideband magnetoelectric dipole antennas with dual polarization and circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 1, 110-119, Feb. 2015. doi:10.1109/MAP.2015.2397091