A planar substrate integrated waveguide leaky wave antenna with cross slots is proposed in the frequency range of 10 GHz-15.5 GHz. Moreover, the symmetrical version of the structure is designed and analyzed in terms of the simulated S parameters and E field distribution which shows the existence of the open stopband in the frequency range (12.91 GHz-14 GHz), consequently degrading the radiation beam at broadside. Therefore, asymmetry is introduced in the unit cell design with respect to the position of the cross slots to achieve the continuous beam scanning in the desired frequency range. Unit cell is analyzed with the help of dispersion relation and Bloch impedance for predicting the beam scanning and matching of the proposed LWA respectively. This leaky TL is fabricated by the standard printed-circuit board process. Measured results are almost consistent with the simulation ones with a continuous beam scanning from of -40° to 16° with gain varying from 8.5 dBi to 11 dBi.
5. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.914305
6. Design, A. C., E. P. Systems, and T. Systems, Handbook of Antenna Technologies, 2014.
7. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Understanding leaky-wave structures: A special form of guided-wave structure," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 14, No. 5, 87-96, 2013. doi:10.1109/MMM.2013.2259400
8. Caloz, C., "A ten-year journey in leaky-wave antennas," 2015 IEEE Conference on Antenna Measurements & Applications (CAMA), 31-34, Thailand, 2015.
9. Otto, S., A. Al-Bassam, A. Rennings, K. Solbach, and C. Caloz, "Transversal asymmetry in periodic leaky-wave antennas for bloch impedance and radiation efficiency equalization through broadside," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 10, 5037-5054, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2343621
10. Lyu, Y.-L., X.-X. Liu, P.-Y. Wang, D. Erni, Q. Wu, C. Wang, N. Y. Kim, and F.-Y. Meng, "Leaky-wave antennas based on non-cutoff substrate integrated waveguide supporting beam scanning from backward to forward," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 6, 2155-2164, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2550054
11. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, and X. M. Qing, "Dual metamaterials substrate integrated leaky-wave structures for antenna applications," 2012 7th Eur. Microw. Integr. Circuits Conf. (EuMIC), 830-833, Amsterdam, 2012. doi:10.23919/EuMC.2012.6459248
12. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, and X. M. Qing, "Multilayered composite right/left-handed leaky-wave antenna with consistent gain," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 11, 5056-5062, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207680
13. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Substrate integrated metamaterial-based leaky-wave antenna with improved boresight radiation bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 7, 3451-3457, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2256094
14. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, and X. M. Qing, "Tapered composite right/left-handed leaky-wave antenna for wideband broadside radiation," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 3, 624-629, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28916
15. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, and X. M. Qing, "Slotted SIW leaky-wave antenna with improved backward scanning bandwidth and consistent gain," 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP) Conf. Proceedings, 752-755, France, 2017. doi:10.23919/EuCAP.2017.7928339
16. Yang, N., C. Caloz, and K. Wu, "Full-space scanning periodic phase-reversal leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 10, 2619-2632, Oct. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2065890
17. Caloz, C., A. Lai, and T. Itoh, "The challenge of homogenization in metamaterials," New J. Phys., Vol. 7, No. 167, 1001-1004, 2005.
18. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., Wiley, 2011.
19. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, Wiley-IEEE Press, Dec. 2000.
20. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.839303
21. Rayas-Sánchez, J. E., "An improved em-based design procedure for single-layer substrate integrated waveguide interconnects with microstrip transitions," 2009 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Work. Ser. Signal Integr. High-Speed Interconnects, IMWS, 27-30, Mexico, 2009.
22. Gomez-Diaz, J. S., A. Alvarez-Melcon, and J. Perruisseau-Carrier, "Analysis of the radiation characteristics of CRLH LWAs around broadside," 2012 6th Eur. Conf. on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2876-2880, Prague, 2012. doi:10.1109/EuCAP.2012.6205934
23. Caloz, C. and S. Otto, "A tour on recent developments and discoveries of crucial practical importance in leaky-wave antennas," 2013 European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 495-498, Germany, 2013.
24. Suntives, A. and S. V. Hum, "An electronically tunable half-mode substrate integrated waveguide leaky-wave antenna," 2011 5th Eur. Conf. Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 3670-3674, Rome, 2011.