This paper presents a novel compact Wilkinson Power Divider (WPD) that improves harmonics suppression. The proposed WPD consists of a shunt open stub between two series similar inductors, and a microstrip line between an isolation resistor and each output port. This configuration acts as a low-pass filter with two transmission zeros. In addition, it facilitates manufacturability by using lower transmission line impedance values than conventional structures. Through Even and odd mode analysis, the general design equations have been derived in closed form. A 2 GHz microstrip WPD is designed, fabricated and measured based on the proposed technique. A great agreement has been obtained between the measured performance of fabricated WPD circuit and the simulation results. The measured results show that the second and third harmonic levels are about -47 dBc and -35 dBc, respectively. The proposed design has about 40% reduction in size better than conventional WPD. It achieves competing results compared to other published work.
Eslam N. Mohamed,
Ayman G. Sobih,
Ayman Mohamed Elsayed El-Tager,
"A Novel Compact Size Wilkinson Power Divider with Two Transmission Zeros for Enhanced Harmonics Suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 82, 67-76, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17112603
1. Li, J., Y. Liu, S. Li, C. Yu, and Y. Wu, "A novel multi-way power divider design with enhanced spurious suppression," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 29, No. 9, Sep. 2014.
2. Lin, C.-M., et al. "Wilkinson power divider using microstrip EBG cells for the suppression of harmonics," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 10, 700-702, Oct. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.905595
3. Liu, H., et al. "Harmonic-rejection compact band pass filter using defected ground structure for GPS application," Active and Passive Electronic Components, Apr. 2014.
4. Yu, W.-H., et al. "A compact filter with sharp-transition and wideband-rejection using the novel defected ground structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 329-340, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604454
5. Xiao, J.-K. and W.-J. Zhu, "New defected microstrip structure band stop filter," PIERS Proceedings, 1471-1474, Suzhou, China, Sep. 12-16, 2011.
6. Yang, T., C.-J. Liu, L. Yan, and K.-M. Huang, "A compact dual-band power divider using planar artificial transmission lines for GSM/DCS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 185-191, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09073107
7. Hayati, M., A. Abdipour, and A. Abdipour, "A Wilkinson power divider with harmonic suppression and size reduction using high-low impedance resonator cells," Radio Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 1, 137-141, Apr. 2015.
8. He, J., B.-Z.Wang, and W. Shao, "Compact microstrip power dividers with slow wave structure and capacitor loading," IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 52-55, May 2010.
9. Sedighy, S. H. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Compact Wilkinson power divider using stepped impedance transmission lines," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1773-1782, Jan. 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311797453980
10. Deng, P.-H., J.-H. Guo, and W.-C. Kuo, "New Wilkinson power dividers based on compact stepped-impedance transmission lines and shunt open stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 407-426, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11111612
11. Ip, W.-C. and K.-K. M. Cheng, "A novel unequal power divider design with dual-harmonic rejection and simple structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 4, 182-184, Apr. 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2105469
12. Yang, N., B. Li, and X. Wu, "Closed-form design of Wilkinson power divider with broadband harmonic suppression and size reduction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 307-318, Jan. 2012. doi:10.1163/156939312800030776
13. Ning, J., et al. "A new design of compact microstrip Wilkinson power dividers," 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology (RFIT), 1-3, IEEE, Aug. 2014.
14. Fan, F., Z.-H. Yan, and J.-B. Jiang, "Design of a novel compact power divider with harmonic suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 5, 151-157, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08111808
15. Mohamed, E. N., A. G. Sobih, and A. M. El-Tager, "Compact Wilkinson power divider with inductive loaded microstrip line for harmonics suppression," 2016 IEEE Middle East Conference on Antennas and Propagation (MECAP), 1-4, IEEE, Sep. 2016.
16. Li, J.-L., et al. "Miniaturized Wilkinson power dividers with harmonic suppressions," Electromagnetics, Vol. 36, No. 3, 157-166, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1080/02726343.2016.1149756
17. Zhan, W.-L. and X.-L. Zhao, "Compact filtering power divider with harmonic suppression," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 3, 243-249, Feb. 2016. doi:10.1080/09205071.2016.1264317