A front-end module (FEM) consisting of a single-pole-double-throw (SPDT) switch and a low noise amplifier (LNA) with good performance is proposed. The SPDT switch is based on PIN diodes, which are mounted on impedance transforming lines parallelled to the main transmission lines with an asymmetric topology. This asymmetric topology is utilized to achieve low insertion loss and high transmit-to-receive isolation. The interstage matching of switch and LNA is designed to achieve low noise figure. To validate the design, the FEM is simulated, fabricated and measured. The experiment results show that, within the range of 7.8-8.1 GHz, the FEM achieves a gain of 22 dB and noise figure of 1.9 dB in receiving mode, with an insertion loss of 0.9 dB and isolation of 40 dB in transmitting mode. In addition, the FEM can handle up to 4 W transmitting power at 8 GHz with good linearity.
"An 8 GHz
Front-End Module with High-Performance T/R Switch and LNA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 82, 185-197, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18011007
1. Kintigh, D. W. and W. K. Niblack, "High-power 2-9 GHz solid state switch," 1982 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 54-56, Jun. 15-17, 1982.
2. Liu, M., R.-H. Jin, J.-P. Geng, and X. Liang, "Low-insertion loss PIN diode switches using impedance-transformation networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 34, 195-202, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC12092604
3. Lin, K.-Y., Y.-J. Wang, D.-C. Niu, and H. Wang, "Millimeter-wave MMIC single-pole-double-throw passive HEMT switches using impedance-transformation networks," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1076-1085, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809676
4. Liu, L., X. L. Liang, H. Zhou, Y. F. Chen, Y. L. Liang, R. H. Jin, J. P. Geng, W. R. Zhu, G. S. C Hu, J. P. Li, and Y. Yao, "Single-pole-double-throw switch based on the ring structure," Proc. IEEE APS, 2017.
5. Ju, I., R. L. Schmid, M.-K. Cho, S. Zeinolabedinzadeh, M. Mitchell, and J. D. Cressler, "Co-design of a SiGe BiCMOS X-band, asymmetric, low insertion loss, high power handling SPDT Switch and an Ultra Low Noise LNA for next-generation T/R modules," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1-4, San Francisco, CA, 2016.
6. Thorsell, M., M. Fagerlind, K. Andersson, N. Billstrom, and N. Rorsman, "An X-band AlGaN/GaN MMIC receiver front-end," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 1, 55-57, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2035968
7. Kawai, S., et al. "A full 4-channel 60 GHz direct-conversion transceiver," 2013 18th Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC), 95-96, Yokohama, 1982.
8. Bahl, I. and P. Bhartia, Microwave Solid State Circuit Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.
9. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.