A very compact triple band-notched multiple input multiple output antenna (MIMO) for ultra-wideband (UWB) communications is fabricated on a FR4 dielectric substrate having overall size of 18 x 21 x 0.8 mm3. The proposed antenna consists of two rectangular metal monopoles which are excited by 50-Ω microstrip lines on top of substrate, and a common protrude ground is at the bottom. To achieve low mutual coupling between radiating elements, a T-shaped stub is protruded from the ground plane. By etching two C-shaped slots on the radiating patches, band-notched functions at 5.15-6 GHz and 7.8-8.4 GHz are obtained. The third notch band from 3.3-3.7 GHz is realized by adding U-shaped metal strips to the ground. The measured and simulated results demonstrate that the proposed antenna offers good impedance bandwidth of |S11| ≤ -10 dB from 2.8-12.2 GHz covering whole UWB band except at the designed notch bands, while giving less mutual coupling (|S21|) of lower than -25 dB in the whole UWB band. The measured envelope correlation coefficient (ECC < 0.013), nearly constant gain and stable radiation patterns show that the proposed MIMO antenna is an appropriate candidate for portable UWB systems.
Jetti Chandrasekhar Rao,
"A Very Compact MIMO Antenna with Triple Band-Notch Function for Portable UWB Systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 82, 13-27, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18011201
1. Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Revision of Part 15 of the Commission's Rules Regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission Systems First Rep. and Order, , ET Docket 98-153, FCC 02-48, Adopted: Feb. 2002; Released, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2008.2008784
2. Kaiser, T., Z. Feng, and E. Dimitrov, "An overview of ultra-wide-band systems with MIMO," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, 285-312, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207361
3. Ben, I. M., L. Talbi, M. Nedil, and K. Hettak, "MIMO-UWB channel characterization within an underground mine gallery," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4866-4874, 2012. doi:10.1109/TIT.2003.810646
4. Zheng, L. and N. C. Tse, "Diversity and multiplexing: A fundamental trade-off in multiple-antenna channels," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 49, No. 5, 1073-1096, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2037027
5. Zhang, S., Z. N. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. L. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1279-1282, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2263277
6. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 61, 4257-4264, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2435992
7. Zhang, S. and G. F. Pedersen, "Mutual coupling reduction for UWB MIMO antennas with a wideband neutralization line," EEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 166-169, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2423318
8. Luo, C. M., J. S. Hong, and L. L. Zhong, "Isolation enhancement of very compact UWB-MIMO slot antenna with two defected ground structures ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1766-1769, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC16120805
9. Li, H., J. Liu, Z. Wang, and Y.-Z. Yin, "Compact 1 × 2 and 2 × 2 MIMO antennas with enhanced isolation for ultrawideband application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 41-49, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2604344
10. Tao, J. and Q. Feng, "Compact ultrawideband MIMO antenna with half-slot structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 792-795, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2096399
11. Zheng, Z. A., Q. X. Chu, and Z. H. Tu, "Compact band-rejected ultrawideband slot antennas inserting with λ/2 and λ/4 resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, 390-397, 2011.
12. Gao, P., S. He, X. Wei, Z. Xu, N. Wang, and Y. Zheng, "Compact printed UWB diversity slot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 376-379, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2406892
13. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 5, 1917-1924, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29804
14. Sipal, D., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Compact band-notched UWB antenna for MIMO applications in portable wireless devices ," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1390-1394, 2016. doi:10.1080/09205071.2016.1217173
15. Tao, J. and Q. Y. Feng, "Compact isolation-enhanced UWB MIMO antenna with band-notch character," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 16, 2206-2214, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC17053002
16. Liu, Z., X. Wu, Y. Zhang, P. Ye, Z. Ding, and C. Hu, "Very compact 5.5 GHz band-notched UWB-MIMO antennas with high isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 76, 109-118, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17042002
17. Tripathi, S., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "A compact MIMO/diversity antenna with WLAN band-notch characteristics for portable UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 77, 29-38, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007368
18. Chu, Q. X. and Y. Y. Yang, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2267653
19. Li, J. F., Q. X. Chu, and T. G. Huang, "Compact dual band-notched UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 61, 4759-4766, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2329496
20. Tang, T. C. and K. H. Lin, "An ultrawideband MIMO antenna with dual band-notched function," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1076-1079, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.29632
21. Zhu, J., B. Feng, B. Peng, L. Deng, and S. Li, "Dual notched band MIMO slot antenna system with Y-shaped defected ground structure for UWB applications," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 3, 626-630, 2016.
22. Li, J.-F., D.-L. Wu, and Y.-J. Wu, "Dual band-notched UWB MIMO antenna with uniform rejection performance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 54, 103-111, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.08.021
23. Jetti, C. R. and V. R. Nandanavanam, "Trident-shape strip loaded dual band-notched UWB MIMO antenna for portable device applications," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 83, 11-21, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.28957
24. Huang, H., Y. Liu, S. S. Zhang, and S. X. Gong, "Compact polarization diversity ultrawideband MIMO antenna with triple band-notched characteristics," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 57, 946-953, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29639
25. Yang, Z. X., H. C. Yang, J. S. Hong, and Y. Li, "A miniaturized triple band-notched MIMO antenna for UWB application," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 3, 642-647, 2016. doi:10.1080/09205071.2017.1354727
26. Banerjee, J., A. Karmakar, R. Ghatak, and D. R. Poddar, "Compact CPW-fed UWB MIMO antenna with a novel modified Minkowski fractal defected ground structure (DGS) for high isolation and triple band-notch characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 15, 1550-1565, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC16092101
27. Sharma, M., Y. K. Awasthi, and H. Singh, "Design of CPW-fed high rejection triple band-notch UWB antenna on silicon with diverse wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 74, 19-30, 2017. doi:10.1007/s11277-017-4716-z
28. Sharma, M., Y. K. Awasthi, H. Singh, R. Kumar, and S. Kumari, "Compact UWB antenna with high rejection triple band-notch characteristics for wireless applications," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 97, No. 3, 4129-4143, 2017. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
29. Blanch, S., J. Romen, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, 705-707, 2003.