A highly miniaturized significant gain triple band patch antenna loaded with a new modified double circular slot ring resonator (MDCsRR) metamaterial unit cell is presented in this paper. Novel MDCsRR is a compact low frequency slot ring resonator. The principle of the proposed patch antenna element is based on adding series capacitance to decrease the half wavelength resonance frequency, thus reducing the electrical size of the proposed patch antenna. The transmission line model is used to analyze passband and stopband characteristics of the radiating bands. Circulating current distribution around MDCsRR slot with increased interdigital capacitor finger length causes multiple modes to propagate. The MDCsRR metamaterial unit cell consists of a new modified circular slot ring resonator (MCsRR) with metallic strip finger. The proposed structure is compact in size with radiating element dimensions of 0.20λ × 0.20λ × 0.008λ at first resonating frequency. The proposed antenna offers triple band operation with significant calculated antenna gain of 3.28 dBi at first center frequency of 3.2 GHz, 2.76 dBi at second center frequency of 5.4 GHz and 3.1 dBi at third center frequency of 5.8 GHz. The electrical size of the proposed antenna is miniaturized by about 68.83% as compared to the conventional patch antenna operating at first resonating frequency.
1. Caloz, C., T. Itoh, and A. Rennings, "CRLH metamaterial leaky-wave and resonant antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 5, 25-39, Oct. 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4674709
2. Ouedraogo, R. O., E. J. Rothwell, A. R. Diaz, K. Fuchi, and A. Temme, "Miniaturization of patch antennas using a metamaterial-inspired technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2175-2182, May 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2189699
3. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 772-785, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173120
4. Lee, Y., S. Tse, Y. Hao, and C. G. Parini, "A compact microstrip antenna with improved bandwidth using Complementary Split-Ring Resonator (CSRR) loading," 2007 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 5431-5434, Honolulu, HI, 2007.
5. Xie, Y., L. Li, C. Zhu, and C.-H. Liang, "A novel dual-band patch antenna with complementary split ring resonators embedded in the ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 117-126, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL11062802
6. Ha, J., K. Kwon, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Hybrid mode wideband patch antenna loaded with a planar metamaterial unit cell," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1143-1147, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173114
7. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A broadband dual-mode monopole antenna using NRI-TL metamaterial loading," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 258-261, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2014402
8. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-fed multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08050404
9. Ziolkowski, R. W., P. Jin, and C. C. Lin, "Metamaterial-inspired engineering of antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 99, No. 10, 1720-1731, Oct. 2011. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2010.2091610
10. Zhu, J. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Dual-band metamaterial-inspired small monopole antenna for WiFi applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 22, 1104-1106, Oct. 22, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.2107
11. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Multiband compact printed dipole antennas using NRI-TL metamaterial loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 12, 5613-5626, Dec. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2211324
12. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2005.
13. Gautam, A. K., L. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Rambabu, "Design of compact F-shaped slot triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 3, 1101-1105, Mar. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2513099
14. Brocker, D. E., Z. H. Jiang, M. D. Gregory, and D. H.Werner, "Miniaturized dual-band folded patch antenna with independent band control utilizing an interdigitated slot loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 1, 380-384, Jan. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2627025
15. Singh, A. K., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Highly miniaturized dual band patch antenna loaded with metamaterial unit cell," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 8, 2027-2033, May 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30683
16. Kurra, L., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Equivalent circuit model of resonant EBG band stop filter," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 62, No. 1, 17-26, Jan. 2016.
17. Ali, T. and R. C. Biradar, "A triple band highly miniaturized antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, 466-471, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.30993
18. Boukarkar, A., X. Q. Lin, Y. Jiang, and Y. Q. Yu, "Miniaturized single-feed multiband patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 2, 850-854, Feb. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2632620
19. Kumar, A., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Triple band miniaturized patch antenna loaded with metamaterial unit cell for defense applications," 2016 11th International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems (ICIIS), 833-837, Roorkee, 2016.
20. Rahimi, M., F. B. Zarrabi, R. Ahmadian, Z. Mansouri, and A. Keshtkar, "Miniaturization of antenna for wireless application with difference metamaterial structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 19-29, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER13120902
21. Sharma, S. K., A. Gupta, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Epsilon negative CPW-fed zeroth-order resonating antenna with backed ground plane for extended bandwidth and miniaturization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 5197-5203, Nov. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2477521
22. Gupta, A., S. K. Sharma, and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact dual-mode metamaterial-inspired antenna using rectangular type CSRR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 35-42, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15032304
23. Sharma, S. K., M. A. Abdalla, and R. K. Chaudhary, "An electrically small SICRR metamaterial-inspired dual-band antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 3, 573-578, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30339