Inertial properties of the TE-waveguide modal fields are studied in time-domain making use of an analytical method, named as evolutionary approach to electrodynamics (EAE). To achieve inertial characteristics, electric field vector with dimension of volt per meter and magnetic field vector with dimension of ampere per meter in Maxwell's equations are factorized in SI units to obtain new electric and magnetic field vectors with their common dimensions of inverse meter. Having the fields with the common dimensions makes them summable. Using EAE, modal basis elements that depend on transverse coordinates and modal amplitudes that depend on time and longitudinal coordinate are obtained by solving the boundary eigenvalue problem. As a result of using the new electric and magnetic field vectors, the energetic properties are derived as real-valued functions of coordinates and time. Then, the inertial properties (that is, electromagnetic mass and momentum) of the TE-waveguide modes are obtained as the functions of time.
1. Strutt, J. W. (Lord Rayleigh), "On the passage of electric waves through tubes, or the vibrations of dielectric cylinders," Philos. Mag., Vol. 43, 125-132, 1897. doi:10.1080/14786449708620969
2. White, H., et al., "Measurement of impulsive thrust from a closed radio-frequency cavity in vacuum," Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 33, No. 4, 830-841, 2017. doi:10.2514/1.B36120
3. He, Y., J. Shen, and S. He, "Consistent formalism for the momentum of electromagnetic waves in lossless dispersive metamaterials and the conservation of momentum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 81-106, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11032006
6. Tretyakov, O. A., "Essentials of nonstationary and nonlinear electromagnetic field theory," Chapter 3 in Analytical and Numerical Methods in Electromagnetic Wave Theory, M. Hashimoto, M. Idemen, and O. A. Tretyakov, Editors, Science House Co. Ltd., Tokyo, 1993.
7. Tretyakov, O. A. and F. Erden, "Evolutionary approach to electromagnetics as an alternative to the time-harmonic field method," IEEE APS/URSI Meeting, July 8–14, 2012, Chicago, US, https://doi.org/10.13140/2.1.2283.4242.
8. Aksoy, S. and O. A. Tretyakov, "Evolution equations for analytical study of digital signals in waveguides," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 12, 1665-1682, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322760209
9. Tretyakov, O. A., "Factorizing physical dimensions of the quantities ingressed in Maxwell’s Equations in SI units," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, St. Petersburg, Russia, May 22–25, 2017.
10. Erden, F. and O. A. Tretyakov, "Mechanical properties of the waveguide modal fields in the time domain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, St. Petersburg, Russia, May 22–25, 2017.
11. Erden, F. and O. A. Tretyakov, "Excitation by a transient signal of the real-valued electromagnetic fields in a cavity," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 77, 056605, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.77.056605
13. Tretyakov, O. A. and O. Akgun, "Derivation of Klein-Gordon equation from Maxwell’s equations and study of relativistic time-domain waveguide modes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 171-191, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10042702
14. Tretyakov, O. A. and M. Kaya, "The real-valued time-domain TE-modes in lossy waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 405-426, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12031402
15. Tretyakov, O. A. and M. Kaya, "Time-domain real-valued TM-modal waves in lossy waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 675-696, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13030206
16. Akgun, O. and O. A. Tretyakov, "Solution to the Klein-Gordon equation for the study of time-domain waveguide fields and accompanying energetic processes," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propag., Vol. 9, No. 12, 1337-1344, 2015. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2014.0512
17. Erden, F., A. A. Cosan, and O. A. Tretyakov, "Properties of the time-domain waveguide modes," IEEE APS/URSI Meeting, Fajardo, PR, June 26–July 1, 2016.
18. Erden, F., "Study of the energetic field characteristics of the TE-modal waves in waveguides," Turkish Journal of Physics, Vol. 41, 47-54, 2017. doi:10.3906/fiz-1605-1
19. Taylor, B. N., Special Publication 330, US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), 2001.
20. Umov, N. A., "Ein Theorem ¨u ber die Wechselwirkung in endlichen Entfernungen," Z. Math. Phys., Vol. 19, 97-114, 1874.
21. Poynting, J. H., "On the transfer of energy in the electromagnetic field," Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., Vol. 175, 343-361, 1884. doi:10.1098/rstl.1884.0016