The joint direction-of-arrival (DOA) and frequency estimation problem has received significant attention recently in some applications, including pulsed Doppler radar, multipath parameter estimation, etc. This paper presents a novel virtual space-frequency matrix method to estimate the DOA and frequency jointly. Via the temporal smoothing technique, a virtual space-frequency matrix is defined, which includes the information of the incident DOAs and the frequencies. Making using of the proposed method, both the frequencies and DOAs can be estimated by eigenvalues and the corresponding eigenvectors of the new defined virtual space-frequency matrix, respectively. Therefore, the pairing of the estimated DOAs and frequencies is automatically determined. Compared with related works, the proposed method can provide superior performance, such as higher estimation accuracy, without the procedure of parameter search or parameter matching. Simulation results are presented to demonstrate the efficacy of the proposed approach.
1. Wang, S., J. Caffery, and X. Zhou, "Analysis of a joint space-time DOA/FOA estimator using MUSIC," IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, B138-B142, 2001.
2. Lin, J. D., W. H. Fang, W. Y. Wang, and J. T. Chen, "FSF MUSIC for joint DOA and frequency estimation and its performance analysis," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, No. 12, 4529-4542, 2006. doi:10.1109/TSP.2006.882112
3. Lemma, A. N., A. J. Vanderveen, and A. Paulraj, "Joint angle-frequency estimation using multi- resolution ESPRIT," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing --- Proceedings, Vol. 4, 1957-1960, 1998.
4. Lemma, A. N. and A. J. Van der veen, "Analysis of joint angle-frequency estimation using ESPRIT," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1264-1283, 2003. doi:10.1109/TSP.2003.810306
5. Liu, F. L., J. K.Wang, and R. Y. Du, "Unitary-JAFE algorithm for joint angle-frequency estimation based on Frame-Newton method," Signal Processing, Vol. 3, No. 90, 809-820, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2009.08.013
6. Lin, J. D., W. H. Fang, and K. H. Wu, "FSF subspace-based algorithm for joint DOA-FOA estimation," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, ii-157-60, 2004.
7. Du, R. Y., J. K. Wang, and F. L. Liu, "Space-time matrix method for joint angle-frequency estimation," IEEE International Conference on Communication Technology Proceedings, 2008.
8. Wang, X. D., "Joint angle and frequency estimation using multiple-delay output based on ESPRIT," Eurasip Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, 2010.
9. Wang, X. D., X. F. Zhang, J. F. Li, and J. C. Bai, "Improved ESPRIT method for joint direction-of- arrival and frequency estimation using multiple-delay output," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, No. 1, 1018-1020, 2012.
10. Sun, Z. W., J. F. Li, J. Liu, and X. F. Zhang, "ESPRIT-based joint angle and frequency estimation using multiple delay output," International Conference on Teaching and Computational Science, 2012.
11. Anil Kumar, A., S. G. Razul, C. M. Girish, C. M. See, and P. Balamuralidhar, "Joint frequency and direction of arrival estimation with space-time array," Proceedings of the IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop, 2016.