A novel hexagonal ring-based reactive impedance surface (RIS) has been proposed and comprehensively employed as a ground plane of a circular polarized patch antenna (CPPA) for enhancing impedance bandwidth (IBW) and axial ratio bandwidth (ARBW), simultaneously. Furthermore, a simple analytical model analysis has been developed to estimate the resonance frequency and to predict the surface characteristics of the RIS structure. Two slits over the patch render the antenna to radiate circular polarized (CP) wave. The RIS has improved the CP antenna performance in terms of compactness, improved gain and increased efficiency. The proposed loaded structure has been numerically and experimentally studied with a layout of 40×40×3.2 mm3 at 3.7 GHz. The measured results indicate that the prototype antenna has produced a relatively wider IBW and ARBW of 9.32% and 2.1%, respectively with peak gain about 2.98 dBiC. Both gain and efficiency of the loaded structure have been improved owing to the low conductive loss of the ring-shaped RIS. The proposed CP antenna might be suitable for radar application used in S-band.
Sekhar Ranjan Bhadra Chaudhuri,
"Design of a Compact CP Antenna with Enhanced Bandwidth Using a Novel Hexagonal Ring Based Reactive Impedance Substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 69, 115-125, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18041004
1. Li, R., J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Broadband circularly polarized rectangular loop antenna with impedance matching," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 1, 52-54, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2091114
2. Park, B.-C. and J.-H. Lee, "Omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna utilizing zeroth-order resonance of epsilon negative transmission line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2717-2720, Jul. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2152337
3. Nasimuddin, Z., N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Slotted microstrip antennas for circular polarization with compact size," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Mag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 124-137, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1109/MAP.2013.6529322
8. Khidre, A., K. F. Lee, F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "Wideband circularly polarized E-shaped patch antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 219-229, Oct. 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5687547
9. Park, B.-C. and J.-H. Lee, "Dual-band omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna using zerothand first-order modes," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 407-410, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2193550
10. Zhang, H., Y.-Q. Li, X. Chen, Y.-Q. Fu, and N.-C. Yuan, "Design of circular/dual-frequency linear polarization antennas based on the anisotropic complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3352-3355, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029400
11. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2403-2414, Sep. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834135
12. Samanta, G., D. Mitra, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "Miniaturization of a patch antenna using circular reactive impedance substrate," Int. Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engg., Vol. 27, No. 8, May 1–10, 2017.
13. Ghosh, A., T. Mandal, and S. Das, "Design and analysis of annular-ring based RIS its use in dual-band patch antenna miniaturization for wireless communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 3, 335-349, Jan. 2017. doi:10.1080/09205071.2017.1282329
14. Bernard, L., G. Chertier, and R. Sauleau, "Wideband circularly polarized patch antennas on reactive impedance substrates," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1015-1018, Sep. 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2168803
15. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 772-785, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173120