In this paper, a compact, circularly polarized printed monopole antenna is proposed at ISM band (2.4-2.48 GHz) for biotelemetry and implantable applications. The proposed antenna possesses a small dimension (10×10×0.3 mm3) and simple microstrip feeding structure. The circular polarization is easily achieved by introducing an ``L'' shape stub at the ground plane in ISM. The simulated 10 dB impedance bandwidth is around 13.87%, and 3 dB AR bandwidth is around 5.3%. The effect of different body phantoms is discussed to evaluate the sensitivity of the proposed antenna. The simulated peak gain of the proposed antenna is about -7.79 dBi across the operating band. The SAR analysis of the antenna configuration has also been studied.
Susanta Kumar Parui,
"A Circularly Polarised Implantable Monopole Antenna for Biomedical Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 85, 167-175, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18051807
1. Kiourti, A. and K. S. Nikita, "Implantable antennas: A tutorial on design, fabrication, and in vitro/in vivo testing," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 15, No. 4, 77-91, 2014. doi:10.1109/MMM.2014.2308765
2. Kiourti, A., K. A. Psathas, and K. S. Nikita, "Implantable and ingestible medical devices with wireless telemetry functionalities: A review of current status and challenges," Wiley Bioelectromagn., Vol. 35, No. 1, 1-15, 2014. doi:10.1002/bem.21813
3. Lee, M. C., T.-C. Yo, F.-J. Huang, and C.-H. Luo, "Dual-resonant P-shape with double L-strips PIFA for implantable biotelemetry," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 14, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20081235
4. Kim, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Planar inverted-F antennas on implantable medical devices: Meandered type versus spiral type," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 3, 2006.
5. Basari, D. C. S., F. Y. Zulkifli, and E. T. Rahardjo, "A helical folded dipole antenna for medical implant communication applications," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications (IMWS-BIO), 2013.
6. Rula, S. A., Y. Huang, M. Kod, and A. A. BakarSajak, "A broadband flexible implantable loop antenna with complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1506-1509, 2015.
7. Liu, C., Y.-X. Guo, and S. Xiao, "A hybrid patch/slot implantable antenna for biotelemetry devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 2012.
8. Permana, H., Q. Fang, and W. S. T. Rowe, "Hermetic implantable antenna inside vitre-ous humor simulating fluid," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 571-590, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12090806
9. Garcia-Miquel, A., S. Curto, N. Vidal, J. M. Lopez-Villegas, F. M. Ramos, and P. Prakash, "Multilayered broadband antenna for compact embedded implantable medical devices: Design and characterization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 159, 1-13, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIER16121507
10. Gao, S. (S.), Q. Luo, and F. Zhu, Circularly Polarized Antennas, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, University of Kent, UK, 2014. doi:10.1002/9781118790526
11. Liu, C., Y.-X. Guo, and S. Xiao, "Capacitively loaded circularly polarized implantable patch antenna for ISM band biomedical applications," IEEE Ttransactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2320677
12. Xu, L.-J., Y.-X. Guo, and W. Wu, "Miniaturized circularly polarized loop antenna for biomedical applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 3, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2387420
13. Yang, Z.-J., S.-Q. Xiao, L. Zhu, B.-Z. Wang, and H.-L. Tu, "A circularly polarized implantable antenna for 2.4 GHz ISM band biomedical applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2554-2557, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2732460
14. Li, R., Y.-X. Guo, B. Zhang, and G. Du, "A miniaturized circularly polarized implantable annularring antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2566-2569, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2734246
15. Duan, Z. and L.-J. Xu, "Dual-band implantable antenna with circular polarisation property for ingestible capsule application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 16, 1090-1092, 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2017.1681
16. Ding, K., C. Gao, T. Yu, and D. Qu, "Broadband C-shaped circularly polarized monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 2, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2380437
17. Ding, K., Y.-X. Guo, and C. Gao, "CPW-fed wideband circularly polarized printed monopole antenna with open loop and asymmetric ground plane ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2017.
18. Saini, R. K., S. Dwari, and M. K. Mandal, "CPW-fed dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2017.
19. Agbinya, J. I., Wireless Power Transfer, 1 Ed., Chapter 10, ``Wireless Powering and Propagation of Radio Frequencies through Tissue", 301-336, 2012.
20. Liu, X. Y., Z. T. Wu, Y. Fan, and E. M. Tentzeris, "A miniaturized CSRR loaded wide-beamwidth circularly polarized implantable antenna for subcutaneous real-time glucose monitoring," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2017.
21. Liu, C., Y.-X. Guo, and S. Xiao, "Circularly polarized helical antenna for ism-band ingestible capsule endoscope systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2292529