This paper presents an analysis of the manufacturing technologies for the high-speed electrical machine with stator core made of amorphous magnetic material, their trends and perspective of development. The most efficient technology is determined. A design technology of sectional stator cores made of amorphous magnetic material is proposed. In addition, the paper shows the design methodology of the high-speed electrical machine with stator core made of amorphous magnetic material. A distinctive feature of the proposed technology is the implementation of the stator core made of amorphous magnetic material and laminated in the axial and radial directions. The fill factor for magnetic cores realized by this technology reaches 75%. The design methodology was tested on three prototypes of the high-speed electrical machine including the 120-kW prototype. The prototype experimental research is also presented in the paper. The main contribution is the loss minimization in the stator core made of amorphous magnetic material by 200%.
Flur R. IsmagilovWenming TongViacheslav VavilovDenis GusakovValentina V. Ayguzina
, "High-Speed Electrical Machine with Radial Magnetic Flux and Stator Core Made of Amorphous Magnetic Material. Technologies, Trends and Perspective of Development," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 86, 69-82, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18052405 http://www.jpier.org/PIERC/pier.php?paper=18052405
1. Yamazaki, K. and Y. Seto, "Iron loss analysis of interior permanent magnet synchronous motors-variation of main loss factors due to driving condition," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 42, No. 4, 1045-1052, Jul./Aug. 2006. doi:10.1109/TIA.2006.876080
2. Tong, W., S. Wu, J. Sun, and L. Zhu, "Iron loss analysis of permanent magnet synchronous motor with an amorphous stator core," 2016 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), Vol. 7791716, Hangzhou, China, Oct. 2016.
3. Jensen, C. C., F. Profumo, and T. A. Lipo, "A low-loss permanent magnet brushless DC motor utilizing tape wound amorphous iron," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 28, No. 3, 646-651, May/Jun. 1992. doi:10.1109/28.137452
4. Wang, Z., R. Masaki, S. Morinaga, Y. Enomoto, H. Itabashi, M. Ito, and S. Tanigawa, "Development of an axial gap motor with amorphous metal cores," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 47, No. 3, 1293-1299, May/Jun. 2011. doi:10.1109/TIA.2011.2127430
5. Ertugrul, N., R. Hasegawa, W. L. Soong, J. Gayler, S. Kloeden, and S. Kahourzade, "A novel tapered rotating electrical machine topology utilizing cut amorphous magnetic material," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 51, No. 7, 8106006, Jul. 2015.
8. Tang, R., W. Tong, and X. Han, "Overview on amorphous alloy electrical machines and their key technologies," Chinese Journal of Electrical Eng., Vol. 2, No. 1, 1-12, Jun. 2016.
9. Borisavljevic, A., H. Polinder, and J. Ferreira, "On the speed limits of permanent-magnet machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 1, 220-227, Aug. 2010. doi:10.1109/TIE.2009.2030762
10. Ganev, E., "High-performance electric drives for aerospace more electric architectures," IEEE Power Engineering Society Meeting, 1-8, Tampa, FL, USA, Jul. 2007.
11. Zwyssig, C., J. W. Kolar, and S. D. Round, "Mega-speed drive systems: Pushing beyond 1 Million RPM," IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics, Vol. 14, No. 5, 564-574, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMECH.2008.2009310
12. Enomoto, Y., H. Tokoi, T. Imagawa, T. Suzuki, T. Obata, and K. Souma, "Amorphous motor with IE5 efficiency class," Hitachi Review, Vol. 64, No. 8, 60-67, 2015.
13. Caamano, R. A., "Electric motor or generator having laminated amorphous metal core,", U.S. Patent 5903082 A, Dec. 27, 1996.
14. Wang, Z., Y. Enomoto, M. Ito, R. Masaki, S. Morinaga, H. Itabashi, and S. Tanigawa, "Development of a permanent magnet motor utilizing amorphous wound cores," IEEE Trans Magn., Vol. 46, No. 2, 570-573, Feb. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2033350
15. Rührig, M., "Stator für eine elektrische Maschine und Verfahren zum Herstellen eines Stators für eine elektrische Maschine,", DE Patent 102012207508 A1, May 7, 2012.
16. DeCristofaro, N. J., D. A. Ngo, R. L. Bye, P. J. Stamatis, and G. E. Fish, "Amorphous metal stator for a radial-flux electric motor,", U.S. Patent 6960860 B1, Jun. 18, 1998.
17. McPherson, M. W. and A. D. Hirzel, "Stator used in an electrical motor or generator with low loss magnetic material and method of manufacturing a stator,", U.S. Patent 61469894, Dec. 13, 2020.
18. Hong, D. K., B. C. Woo, Y. H. Jeong, and C. W. Ahn, "Development of an ultra high speed permanent magnet synchronous motor," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 14, No. 3, 493-499, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1007/s12541-013-0066-2
19. Ismagilov, F. R., V. E. Vavilov, I. H. Khayrullin, and V. I. Bekuzin, "Stator magnetic core of the electromechanical energy converters with intensive cooling (variants) and the way of its manufactured,", RU Patent 2570834, Jul. 8, 2014.
20. Stannard, N., R. Martin, and G. J. Atkinson, "Analysis of a novel stator construction employing steel wire in place of laminations," IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion, Vol. 32, No. 3, 993-1001, Sept. 2017. doi:10.1109/TEC.2017.2680539
21. Ismagilov, F., V. Vavilov, V. Bekuzin, and V. Ayguzina, "Topology evaluation of a slotless high-speed electrical machine with stator core made of an amorphous alloy for the aerospace industry," International Review of Aerospace Engineering (IREASE), Vol. 10, No. 3, 131-139, Jun. 2017. doi:10.15866/irease.v10i3.12615
22. Ismagilov, F., V. Vavilov, A. Miniyarov, A. Veselov, and V. Ayguzina, "Design, optimization and initial testing of a high-speed 5-kW permanent magnet generator for aerospace application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 79, 225-240, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17091805
23. Uzhegov, N., J. Pyrhonen, and S. Shirinskii, "Loss minimization in high-speed permanent magnet synchronous machines with tooth-coil windings," IECON Proceedings (Industrial Electronics Conference), Vol. 45, No. 11, 2960-2965, Vienna, Austria, 2014.
24. Nagorny, A., N. Dravid, R. Jansen, and B. Kenny, "Design aspects of a high speed permanent magnet synchronous motor/generator for flywheel applications," NASA/TM-2005-213651, 1-7, 2005.
25. Yakupov, A., F. Ismagilov, I. Khayrullin, and V. Vavilov, "Method of designing high-speed generators for the biogas plant," Int. J. of Renewable Energy Research, Vol. 6, No. 2, 447-454, 2016.
26. Fang, H. and D. Wang, "A novel design method of permanent magnet synchronous generator from perspective of permanent magnet material saving," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 31, No. 12, 48-54, Jun. 2016.