In this article, design and analysis of a modified circular slot antenna is discussed. The proposed antenna design is attractive because of two important reasons: (i) modified circular slot creates dual operating bands; (ii) stable radiation characteristics over the operating frequency bands. The complete analysis of proposed radiator has been done on Ansys HFSS simulation software. For verifying the simulated outcomes, a prototype of antenna structure is fabricated and tested. Measured results show that the proposed antenna operates over two frequency bands i.e., 2.88-3.92 GHz and 5.26-6.28 GHz with the fractional bandwidths of 31% and 17% respectively. Experimentally measured average gain of the proposed radiator is 3 dBi and 6 dBi in lower and upper frequency bands, respectively. All these features of the proposed antenna make it appropriate for WiMAX (3.5 GHz) and WLAN (5.8 GHz) applications.
Som Pal Gangwar,
"Dual-Band Modified Circular Slot Antenna for WLAN and WiMAX
Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 85, 247-257, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18061805
1. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
2. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
3. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrines, 1989.
4. Yang, K. P. and K. L. Wong, "Inclined-slot-coupled compact dual-frequency microstrip antenna with cross slot," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 4, 321-322, Feb. 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980222
8. Tiang, J. J., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and J. S. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dual-frequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 499-512, Oct. 2011.
9. Yang, Y. H., J.-L. Guo, B.-H. Sun, and Y.-H. Huang, "Dual-band slot helix antenna for global positioning satellite applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 12, 5146-5152, Dec. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2623647
10. Hung, C. and T. Chiu, "Design of dual-band cavity-backed slot antenna loaded with spurline," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 9, 939-946, Jun. 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2015.0682
11. Kandasamy, K., B. Majumder, J. Mukherjee, and K. P. Ray, "Dual-band circularly polarized split ring resonators loaded square slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3640-3645, May 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2565729
12. Rui, X., J. Li, and K. Wei, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarised square slot antenna with simple structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 8, 578-580, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2015.4499