This paper presents some theoretical and experimental analyses of the rotating-magnet based mechanical antenna (RMBMA), a promising portable transmitting antenna for ELF-ULF (3-3000 Hz) wireless communication. Based on the Amperian current model, a theoretical model is developed to analyze the electromagnetic fields generated by RMBMA. A prototype is manufactured and measured, and the measurements coincide well with the calculations based on the established theoretical model. The results reveal that this new technique can create a constant channel condition in complex propagation environment, and an RMBMA with a small size can produce an AC magnetic field of 1 pT at hundreds of meters across lossy media, such as soil and sea water.
"A Rotating-Magnet Based Mechanical Antenna (RMBMA) for ELF-ULF Wireless Communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 72, 125-133, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18070204
1. Liu, C., L. G. Zheng, and Y. P. Li, "Study of elf electromagnetic fields from a submerged horizontal electric dipole positioned in a sea of finite depth," 2009 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, 152-157, Beijing, China, Oct. 2009.
2. Barr, R., W. Ireland, and M. J. Smith, "Elf, Vlf and Lf radiation from a very large loop antenna with a mountain core," Microwaves Antennas & Propagation IEE Proceedings H, Vol. 140, No. 2, 129-134, 1993. doi:10.1049/ip-h-2.1993.0020
3. Bickford, J. A., R. S. McNabb, P. A. Ward, et al. "Low frequency mechanical antennas: Electrically short transmitters from mechanically-actuated dielectrics," Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1475-1476, San Diego, USA, Jul. 2017.
4. Manteghi, M., "A navigation and positioning system for unmanned underwater vehicles based on a mechanical antenna," Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1997-1998, San Diego, USA, Jul. 2017.
5. Weldon, J., K. Jensen, and A. Zettl, "Nanomechanical radio transmitter," Physica Status Solidi (B), Vol. 245, No. 10, 2323-2325, 2008. doi:10.1002/pssb.200879639
6. Liu, X. J., "A kind of antenna,", patent num. ZL 200920105671.9.
7. Madanayake, A., S. Choi, and M. Tarek, "Energy-efficient Ulf/Vlf transmitters based on mechanically-rotating dipoles," Engineering Research Conference, 230-235, Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, May 2017.
8. Srinivas Prasad, M. N., Y. K. Huang, and Y. E. Wang, "Going beyond Chu Harrington limit: Ulf radiation with a spinning magnet array," General Assembly and Scientific Symposium of the International Union of Radio Science (URSI GASS), Montreal, QC, Canada, Aug. 2017.
9. Selvin, S., Prasad M. N. S., Huang Y., et al. "Spinning magnet antenna for Vlf transmitting," Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1477-1478, San Diego, USA, Jul. 2017.
10. Sojdehei, J. J., P. N. Wrathall, and D. F. Dinn, "Magneto-inductive (Mi) communications," MTS/IEEE Oceans 2001. An Ocean Odyssey. Conference Proceedings (IEEE Cat. No.01CH37295), 513-519, Honolulu, USA, Nov. 2001.
11. Sun, Z. and I. F. Akyildiz, "Magnetic induction communications for wireless underground sensor networks," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2426-2435, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048858
12. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, S. Babic, et al. "Cylindrical magnets and coils: Fields, forces, and inductances," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 9, 3585-3590, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2049026
13. Ciric, I. R., "New models for current distributions and scalar potential formulations of magnetic field problems," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 61, No. 8, 2709-2717, 1987. doi:10.1063/1.337911
14. Ravaud, R. and G. Lemarquand, "Comparison of the Coulombian and Amperian current models for calculating the magnetic field produced by radially magnetized arc-shaped permanent magnets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, No. 4, 309-327, 2009.
15. Kong, J. A., Theory of Electromagnetic Waves, EMW Publishing, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 2008.
16. Perdok, U. D., B. Kroesbergen, and M. A. Hilhorst, "Influence of gravimetric water content and bulk density on the dielectric properties of soil," European Journal of Soil Science, Vol. 47, No. 3, 367-371, 1996. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2389.1996.tb01410.x
17. Hendrickx, J. M. H., B. Borchers, D. L. Corwin, et al. "Inversion of soil conductivity profiles from electromagnetic induction measurements," Soil Science Society of America Journal, Vol. 66, No. 3, 673-685, 2002. doi:10.2136/sssaj2002.6730
18. Bradshaw, A. and K. Schleicher, "Electrical conductivity of seawater," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 1, 50-62, 1980. doi:10.1109/JOE.1980.1145449
19. Cohen, M. B., U. S. Inan, and E. W. Paschal, "Sensitive broadband Elf/Vlf radio reception with the awesome instrument," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, No. 1, 3-17, 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2009.2028334
20. Harriman, S. K., E. W. Paschal, and U. S. Inan, "Magnetic sensor design for femtotesla lowfrequency signals," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, No. 1, 396-402, 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2009.2027694