Propagation of surface waves in dielectric underneath a microstrip patch antenna poses serious hindrance to the radiation mechanism. Several methods are being tried for suppression of surface wave. Metamaterial substrate is presented here with periodic arrangement of metallic cylindrical pins except the area underneath the radiating microstrip patch. The periodic arrangement of metallic cylindrical pins with negative dielectric constant has considerably high reflection coefficient to drive the extraneous surface wave fields towards the fringing fields of the antenna. The textured pin substrate leads to generation of forbidden band gap for the propagation of TM0 surface wave modes and thus enhances radiation characteristics. The proposed structure proves to be highly beneficial for improving radiation efficiency and gain. Parametric analysis has also been presented for the gain enhancement by varying pin diameter, spacing between pins, and air gap between dielectric substrates. A uniform gain of 10 dB has been achieved for a Left Hand Circularly Polarized (LHCP) microstrip patch antenna. The axial ratio achieved in the described band is 200 MHz. The antenna has been designed for WLAN applications.
"Surface Wave Suppression in LHCP Microstrip Patch Antenna Embedded on Textured PIN Subsrtate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 89, 171-180, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC18072802
1. Garg, R. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, London, 2003.
2. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antenna, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1989.
4. Komanduri, V. R., D. R. Jackson, J. T. Williams, and A. R. Mehrotra, "A general method for designing reduced surface wave microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 6, 2887-2894, June 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2254441
5. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, J.-G. Liang, M. Q. Qi, and X. Gao, "Compact circularly polarized antennas combining meta-surfaces and strong space-filling meta-resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 7, 3442-3450, July 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2255855
6. Brown, J., "Artificial dielectrics having refractive indices less than unity," Proc. IEE, Radio Section, 11-23, Monograph. 62, 1953.
7. Rotman, W., "Plasma simulation by artificial dielectrics and parallel plate media," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 81-96, January 1961.
8. Nikolić, M. M., A. R. Djordjević, and A. Nehorai, "Microstrip antennas with suppressed radiation in horizontal directions and reduced coupling," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3469-3476, November 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858847
9. King, R. J., D. V. Thiel, and K. S. Park, "The synthesis of surface reactance using an artificial dielectric," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 3, 471-476, May 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143071
10. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, and R. F. J. Broas, "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, November 1999.
11. Silveirinha, M. G., C. A. Fernandes, and J. R. Costa, "Electromagnetic characterization of textured surfaces using textured Pins," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, 405-415, February 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.915442
12. Carver, K. R. and J. W. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-24, January 1981. doi:10.1109/TAP.1981.1142523
13. Pozar, D. M., "Rigorous closed form expressions for the surface wave loss of printed antennas," Electronic Letters, Vol. 26, No. 13, 954-956, June 1990. doi:10.1049/el:19900622
14. Morabito, A. F. and P. G. Nicolaci, "Optimal synthesis of shaped beams through concentric ring isophoric sparse arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 979-982, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2615762