In this research paper, a Ridge Substrate Integrated Waveguide (RSIW) multiple band bandpass filter embedded with an octagonal shape Complementary Split Ring Resonator (CSRRs) is proposed. The electrically coupled octagonal shape CSRR is placed interdigitally in RSIW using transverse coupling technique to improve multiple passband bandwidths. The filter exhibits a highly selective multiple electric or magnetic or bianisotropic mode for different frequencies. The analysis for spurious band suppression has been done by direct method. The prototype configuration of quarter wavelength octagonal CSRR resonators introduces band suppression at all odd harmonics. The proposed structure of filter with dimension 1.36λg×0.52λg excluding feed port is fabricated. Full wave structure simulated results are compared with measurement ones. The measured passband frequencies and their calculated respective central frequency (f0), fractional bandwidth (FBW) are in close agreement with the simulated result. The spurious higher order harmonics are observed as suppressed. The filter can be utilized to suppress interference from LAN, WLAN, GSM, WiMAX and variable stopband for ISM interference.
Shiva Nand Singh,
"Design and Analysis of Ridge Substrate Integrated Waveguide Bandpass Filter with Octagonal Complementary Split Ring Resonator for Suppression of Higher Order Harmonics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 89, 87-99, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC18080404
1. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "The engineering approach," Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, 2006.
2. Hsieh, L.-H. and K. Chang, "Compact, low insertion-loss, sharp-rejection, and wide-band microstrip bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1241-1246, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809643
3. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Wideband microstrip ring resonator bandpass filters under multiple resonances," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 10, 2176-2182, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.906510
4. Zhang, C. A., Y. J. Cheng, and Y. Fan, "Quadri-folded substrate integrated waveguide cavity and its miniaturized bandpass filter applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 23, 1-14, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11052401
5. Kumar, R. and S. N. Singh, "Compact Substrate Integrated Waveguide multiband band pass filter using octagonal complementary split ring resonators," International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 12, No. 20, 10 127-10 133, 2017.
6. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.914305
7. Che, W., C. Li, K. Deng, and L. Yang, "A novel bandpass filter based on complementary split rings resonators and substrate integrated waveguide," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 3, 699-701, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23182
8. Senior, D. E., X. Cheng, and Y. K. Yoon, "Dual-band filters using complementary split-ring resonator and capacitive loaded half-mode substrate-integrated-waveguide," 2012 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, IEEE, 2012.
9. Ur Rehman, M. Z., Z. Baharudin, M. A. Zakariya, M. H. M. Khir, M. T. Jilani, and M. T. Khan, "RF MEMS based half mode bowtie shaped substrate integrated waveguide tunable bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 60, 21-30, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15091407
10. Bozzi, M., D. Deslandes, P. Arcioni, L. Perregrini, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Efficient analysis and experimental verification of substrate-integrated slab waveguides for wideband microwave applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 3, 296-306, 2005. doi:10.1002/mmce.20085
11. Ramesh, S. and T. Rama Rao, "Dielectric loaded exponentially tapered slot antenna utilizing substrate integrated waveguide technology for millimeter wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 42, 149-164, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13062003
12. Chen, L.-N., Y.-C. Jiao, Z. Zhang, and F.-S. Zhang, "Miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide dual-mode filters loaded by a series of cross-slot structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 29, 29-39, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12032302
13. Hopfer, S., "The design of ridged waveguides," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 3, No. 5, 20-29, 1955. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1955.1124972
14. Kazemi, R. and A. E. Fathy, "Design of a wideband eight-way single ridge substrate integrated waveguide power divider," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 7, 648-656, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2014.0480
15. Li, C., W. Che, P. Russer, and Y. Chow, "Propagation and band broadening effect of planar ridged substrate-integrated waveguide (RSIW)," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 2008. ICMMT 2008, Vol. 2, 467-470, IEEE, 2008.
16. Cheng, Y. J., C. A. Zhang, and Y. Fan, "Miniaturized multilayer folded substrate integrated waveguide butler matrix," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 21, 45-58, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11020502
17. Han, S., X.-L. Wang, and Y. Fan, "Analysis and design of multiple-band bandstop filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 297-306, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07020903
18. Bozzi, M., S. A. Winkler, and K. Wu, "Novel compact and broadband interconnects based on ridge substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2009. MTT’09, 121-124, IEEE, 2009. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2009.5165647
19. Huang, L. and H. Cha, "Compact ridge substrate integrated waveguide filter with transmission zeros," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 12, 778-780, 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2015.2496802
20. Mallahzadeh, A. and S. Mohammad-Ali-Nezhad, "A low cross-polarization slotted ridged SIW array antenna design with mutual coupling considerations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 10, 4324-4333, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2457952
21. Bahrami, H., M. Hakkak, and A. Pirhadi, "Analysis and design of highly compact bandpass waveguide filter using complementary split ring resonators (CSRR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 107-122, 2008.
23. Chen, C.-F., T.-Y. Huang, and R.-B. Wu, "Design of microstrip bandpass filters with multiorder spurious-mode suppression," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3788-3793, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.859869
24. Thammawongsa, N., R. Phromloungsri, K. Somsuk, and P. Arunvipas, "Harmonic suppression improvement of microstrip open loop ring resonator bandpass filter," Procedia Engineering, Vol. 8, 19-24, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.proeng.2011.03.004
25. Ranjan, P., A. Choubey, S. K.Mahto, and R. Sinha, "An ultrathin five-band polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber having hexagonal array of 2D-bravais-lattice," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 87, 13-23, 2018.
27. Bozzi, M., S. Germani, and L. Perregrini, "Performance comparison of different element shapes used in printed reflectarrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, No. 1, 219-222, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.819687
28. Winkler, S. A., W. Hong, M. Bozzi, and K. Wu, "Polarization rotating frequency selective surface based on substrate integrated waveguide technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1202-1213, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2041170
29. Ji, Y., X. S. Yao, and L. Maleki, "High-Q whispering gallery mode dielectric resonator bandpass filter with microstrip line coupling and photonic bandgap mode-suppression," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 10, No. 8, 310-312, 2000. doi:10.1109/75.862224
30. Smith, D., D. Vier, T. Koschny, and C. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials," Physical Review E, Vol. 71, No. 3, 036617, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.71.036617
31. Rambabu, K., M.-W. Chia, K. M. Chan, and J. Bornemann, "Design of multiple-stopband filters for interference suppression in UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 8, 3333-3338, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.877813
32. Yang, T., P.-L. Chi, R. Xu, and W. Lin, "Folded substrate integrated waveguide based composite right/left-handed transmission line and its application to partial H-plane filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 2, 789-799, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2231431
33. Xu, J., W. Wu, and G. Wei, "Compact multi-band bandpass filters with mixed electric and magnetic coupling using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 12, 3909-3919, 2015. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2015.2488643
34. Zhan, X., Z.-X. Tang, H. Liu, Y. Wu, and B. Zhang, "Compact multiband transversal bandpass filters with multiple transmission zeroes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 34, 157-167, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12080501
35. Lin, S.-C., "Microstrip dual/quad-band filters with coupled lines and quasi-lumped impedance inverters based on parallel-path transmission," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 8, 1937-1946, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2142191
36. Gorur, A. K. and C. Karpuz, "Design of compact multi-band microstrip bandpass filter having simultaneously excited passbands by using open-circuited stubs," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1-3, 2013.
37. Chen, C., "Design of a compact microstrip quint-band filter based on the tri-mode stub-loaded stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 7, 357-359, July 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2202894
38. Tu, W.-H. and K.-W. Hsu, "Design of sext-band bandpass filter and sextaplexer using semilumped resonators for system in a package," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 5, No. 2, 265-273, 2015. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2014.2387198
39. Gómez García, R., J.-M. Muñoz-Ferreras, and M. Sánchez-Renedo, "Microwave transversal six-band bandpass planar filter for multi-standard wireless applications," 2011 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 166-169, IEEE, 2011. doi:10.1109/RWS.2011.5727976