A microstrip antenna with a pixel ground structure for single and multiband frequency reconfigurable applications is presented. The partial ground structure of the primary antenna is converted into pixel shapes which produce single and multiband frequency reconfigurable characteristics by the means of RF switches. The designed antenna operations are switchable over multiband, single frequency band and UWB spectrum with distinct configuration of RF switches. Three cases of RF switch configurations have been demonstrated with their simulated and measured results to verify the reconfigurable characteristics.
Rajendra Prasad Yadav,
"Pixel Shape Ground Inspired Frequency Reconfigurable Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 89, 75-85, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC18082102
1. Lotfi, P., S. Soltani, and R. D. Murch, "Broadside beam-steerable planar parasitic pixel patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 10, 4519-4524, Oct. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2588525
2. Yuan, X., et al. "A parasitic layer-based reconfigurable antenna design by multi-objective optimization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 6, 2690-2701, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2194663
3. Li, Z., D. Rodrigo, L. Jofre, and B. A. Cetiner, "A new class of antenna array with a reconfigurable element factor," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 4, 1947-1955, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2234073
4. Rodrigo, D. and L. Jofre, "Frequency and radiation pattern reconfigurability of a multi-size pixel antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2219-2225, May 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2189739
5. Besoli, A. G. and F. D. Flaviis, "A multifunctional reconfigurable pixeled antenna using MEMS technology on printed circuit board," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 12, 4413-4424, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2165470
6. Rodrigo, D., Y. Damgaci, M. Unlu, B. A. Cetiner, J. Romeu, and L. Jofre, "Antenna reconfigurability based on a novel parasitic pixel layer," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 3497-3500, 2011.
7. Bishop, N., M. Ali, W. Baron, J. Miller, J. Tuss, and D. Zeppettella, "Aperture coupled MEMS reconfigurable pixel patch antenna for conformal load bearing antenna structures (CLAS)," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1091-1092, 2014. doi:10.1109/APS.2014.6904872
8. Mansour, A. M., et al. "Compact reconfigurable multi-size pixel antenna for cognitive radio networks and IoT environments," 2016 Loughborough Antennas Propagation Conference (LAPC), 1-5, 2016.
9. Song, S. and R. D. Murch, "An efficient approach for optimizing frequency reconfigurable pixel antennas using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 2, 609-620, Feb. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2293509
10. Ali, M., N. Bishop, W. Baron, B. Smyers, J. Tuss, and D. Zeppettella, "A MEMS reconfigurable pixel microstrip patch antenna for conformal load bearing antenna structures (CLAS) concept," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1093-1094, 2014. doi:10.1109/APS.2014.6904873
11. Muscat, A. and J. A. Zammit, "An efficient algorithm for the control of reconfigurable pixel microstrip antennas," 2009 Second International Conference on Advances in Circuits, Electronics and Micro-electronics, 44-47, 2009. doi:10.1109/CENICS.2009.10
12. Rodrigo, D., J. Romeu, and L. Jofre, "Interference rejection using frequency and pattern reconfigurable antennas," Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 1-2, 2012.
13. Hossain, M. A., I. Bahceci, and B. A. Cetiner, "Parasitic layer-based radiation pattern reconfigurable antenna for 5G communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 12, 6444-6452, Dec. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2757962
14. Lotfi, P., S. Soltani, and R. D. Murch, "Printed endfire beam-steerable pixel antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 8, 3913-3923, Aug. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2716399
15. Rodrigo, D., E. Diaz, and L. Jofre, "Reconfigurable pixel-layer isolator for frequency-tunable on-frequency repeaters," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 475-478, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2309728
16. Tewari, M., A. Yadav, and R. P. Yadav, "Frequency reconfigurable antenna: Using pixel ground," 2016 International Conference on Recent Advances and Innovations in Engineering (ICRAIE), 1-6, 2016.
17. Trinh-Van, S. and C. Dao-Ngoc, "Dual band-notched UWB antenna based on electromagnetic band gap structures," REV J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 1, Sep. 2011.
18. Kishore, N., A. Prakash, and V. S. Tripathi, "A reconfigurable ultra wide band antenna with defected ground structure for ITS application," AEU - Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 72, 210-215, Feb. 2017. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.12.009