In this paper, we investigate the secrecy design in a sustainable relay network, where the relay is energy harvesting enabled and utilizes time switching to harvest wireless power. Specifically, assuming half-duplex amplify-and-forward relaying, we investigate the worst-case secrecy rate maximization by jointly designing the relay beamforming matrix, artificial noise covariance, and the time switching ratio. However, the formulated problem is highly non-convex due to the secrecy rate function and the dynamic relay transmit power constraint. By decoupling the original problem, we propose a two-layer optimization algorithm, where the outer problem is solved by two-dimensional search while the inner problem is solved by semi-definite relaxation. Numerical results show the effectiveness of the proposed scheme.
"Secrecy Sustainable Transmission Design in Energy Harvesting Enable Relay Networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 78, 11-18, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18092608
1. Dincer, F., M. Karaaslan, E. Unal, O. Akgol, and C. Sabah, "Multi-band metamaterial absorber: Design, experiment and physical interpretation," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 23, No. 3, 197-202, Mar. 2014.
2. Bakir, M., M. Karaaslan, F. Dincer, K. Delihacioglu, and C. Sabah, "Tunable perfect metamaterial absorber and sensor applications," Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, Vol. 27, No. 11, 12091-12099, 2016. doi:10.1007/s10854-016-5359-7
3. Bagmancia, M., M. Karaaslana, E. Unala, O. Akgola, F. Karadagb, and C. Sabah, "Broad-band polarization-independent metamaterial absorber for solar energy harvesting applications," Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, Vol. 90, 1-6, Mar. 2017. doi:10.1016/j.physe.2017.03.001
4. Lu, X., P. Wang, D. Niyato, D. Kim, and Z. Han, "Wireless networks with RF energy harvesting: A contemporary survey," IEEE Commun. Surveys Tutorials, Vol. 17, No. 2, 757-789, Second Quarter, 2015. doi:10.1109/COMST.2014.2368999
5. Bi, S., C. K. Ho, and R. Zhang, "Wireless powered communication: Opportunities and challenges," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 4, 117-125, Apr. 2015. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2015.7081084
6. Qian, L., G. Feng, and V. C. M. Leung, "Optimal transmission policies for relay communication networks with ambient energy harvesting relays," IEEE J. Sel. Areas. Commun., Vol. 34, No. 12, 3754-3768, Dec. 2016. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2016.2621356
7. Zeng, Y. and R. Zhang, "Full-duplex wireless-powered relay with self-energy recycling," IEEE Wireless Commun. Lett., Vol. 4, No. 2, 201-204, Apr. 2015. doi:10.1109/LWC.2015.2396516
8. Liao, J., M. R. A. Khandaker, and K.-K. Wong, "Energy harvesting enabled MIMO relaying through power splitting," Proc. IEEE Signal Process. Adv. Wireless Commun. (SPAWC), 1-5, Jul. 2016.
9. Singh, K., M.-L. Ku, and J.-C. Lin, "Joint power control and energy transfer for energy harvesting relay networks," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Commun. (ICC), 1-5, May 2016.
10. Benkhelifa, F. and M.-S. Alouini, "Precoding design of MIMO amplify-and-forward communication system with an energy harvesting relay and possibly imperfect CSI," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 578-594, Mar. 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2646387
11. Liu, Y., H.-H. Chen, and L. Wang, "Physical layer security for next generation wireless networks: Theories, technologies, and challenges," IEEE Commun. Surveys Tutorials, Vol. 19, No. 1, 347-376, First Quarter, 2017. doi:10.1109/COMST.2016.2598968
12. Chen, X.-M., D. W. K. Ng, and H.-H. Chen, "Secrecy wireless information and power transfer: Challenges and opportunities," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 23, No. 2, 51-61, Apr. 2016.
13. Zhou, J., R. Cao, H. Gao, H. Liu, and T. Lv, "Secure communication of wireless information and power transfer system with green relay," IEEE Int. Conf. Commun. Workshop (ICCW), 2040-2045, Jun. 2015. doi:10.1109/ICCW.2015.7247481
14. Zhao, M., X. Wang, and S. Feng, "Joint power splitting and secure beamforming design in the multiple non-regenerative wireless-powered relay networks," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 9, 1540-1543, Sep. 2015. doi:10.1109/LCOMM.2015.2453161
15. Xing, H., K.-K.Wong, and A. Nallanathan, "Secure wireless energy harvesting-enabled AF-relaying SWIPT networks," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Commun. (ICC), 2307-2312, Jun. 2015.
16. Gao, H., T. Lv, W. Wang, and N. C. Beaulieu, "Energy-efficient and secure beamforming for self-sustainable relay-aided multicast networks," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 11, 1509-1513, Aug. 2016. doi:10.1109/LSP.2016.2600105
17. Almradi, A. and K. A. Hamdi, "The performance of wireless powered MIMO relaying with energy beamforming," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 64, No. 11, 4550-4562, Nov. 2016. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2016.2606619
18. Benkhelifa, F., A. S. Salem, and M.-S. Alouini, "Sum-rate enhancement in multiuser MIMO decode-and-forward relay broadcasting channel with energy harvesting relays," IEEE J. Sel. Areas. Commun., Vol. 34, No. 12, 3675-3684, Dec. 2016. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2016.2611878
19. Chen, Y., R. Shi, W. Feng, and N. Ge, "AF relaying with energy harvesting source and relay," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 66, No. 1, 874-879, Jan. 2017.
20. Salem, A., K. A. Hamdi, and K. M. Rabie, "Physical layer security with RF energy harvesting in AF multi-antenna relaying networks," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 64, No. 7, 3025-3038, Jul. 2016. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2016.2573829
21. Li, B., Z. Fei, and H. Chen, "Robust artificial noise-aided secure beamforming in wireless-powered non-regenerative relay networks," IEEE Access, Vol. 4, 7921-7929, Nov. 2016.
22. Luo, Z.-Q., J. F. Sturm, and S. Zhang, "Multivariate nonnegative quadratic mappings," SIAM J. Optim., Vol. 14, No. 4, 1140-1162, 2004. doi:10.1137/S1052623403421498
23. Charnes, A. and W. W. Cooper, "Programming with linear fractional functionals," Naval Res. Logist. Quart., Vol. 9, 181-186, Dec. 1962. doi:10.1002/nav.3800090303
24. Grant, M. and S. Boyd, "CVX: Matlab software for disciplined convex programming,", Version 1.21. Accessed on Apr. 2011. [Online]. Available: http://cvxr.com/cvx.