In this paper a novel robust beamforming method is devised to receive multipath signals effectively. The new algorithm constructs a transformation matrix derived through high-order angle constraint to suppress the interferences with the directions of arrival (DOA) of interference signals. Using the transformed data, the composite steering vector of the multipath signals is estimated as the principal eigenvector of the signal subspace, and then it is utilized in minimum variance distortionless response (MVDR) beamforming to compute the optimal weight vector. The new method is improved in robustness to DOA error by forming wide nulls in incident directions of the interferences, and keeps effective in the presence of coherent interferences. Simulations analyses are provided to illustrate the robustness and effectiveness of the new beamformer.
"New Robust Adaptive Beamforming Method for Multipath Coherent Signal Reception," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 78, 1-10, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18100705
1. Gabriel, W. F., "Adaptive arrays: An introduction," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 64, No. 2, 239-272, 2005. doi:10.1109/PROC.1976.10095
2. Hang, R. and R. C. Lamare, "Robust adaptive beamforming based on low-rank and cross-correlation techniques," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 64, No. 15, 3919-3932, 2016. doi:10.1109/TSP.2016.2550006
3. Anu, Y. and M. Wax, "Performance analysis of the minimum variance beamformer," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 44, No. 4, 938-947, 1995.
4. Bresler, Y., V. U. Reddy, and T. Kailath, "Optimum beamforming for coherent signal and interferences," IEEE Trans. Acoust Speech and Signal Process., Vol. 36, No. 6, 833-843, 1988. doi:10.1109/29.1594
5. Liu, C. L. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Remarks on the spatial smoothing step in coarray MUSIC," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 9, 1438-1442, 2015. doi:10.1109/LSP.2015.2409153
6. Zhang, L. and W. Liu, "Robust beamforming for coherent signals based on the spatial-smoothing technique," Signal Process., Vol. 92, No. 11, 2747-2758, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2012.05.008
7. Zhan, X., X. Liu, and H. Yu, "Improved MUSIC algorithm for DOA estimation of coherent signals via toeplitz and fourth-order-cumulants," Russian Academy Sciences Sbornik Mathematics, Vol. 200, No. 11, 3-14, 2015.
8. Widrow, B., K. Duvall, and R. Gooch, "Signal cancellation phenomena in adaptive antennas: Causes and cures," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 3, 469-478, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142804
9. Choi, Y. H., "Adaptive nulling beamformer for rejection of coherent and noncoherent interferences," Signal Process., Vol. 92, No. 2, 607-610, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2011.08.018
10. Setlur, P., M. Amin, and F. Ahamd, "Multipath model and exploitation in through-the-wall and urban radar sensing," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, No. 10, 4021-4035, 2011. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2011.2128331
11. Leigsnering, M., M. Amin, and F. Ahamd, "Multipath exploitation and suppression for SAR imaging of building interiors: An overview of recent advances," IEEE Signal Process Magazine, Vol. 31, No. 4, 110-119, 2014. doi:10.1109/MSP.2014.2312203
12. Zhang, L., H. C. So, and L. Ping, "Adaptive multiple-beamformers for reception of coherent signals with known directions in the presence of uncorrelated interferences," Signal Process., Vol. 84, No. 10, 1861-1873, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2004.06.012
13. Wu, R. F., Y. Q. Jing, and Z. Liu, "Robust adaptive beamforming algorithm for multiple coherent signals reception," Journal of Signal Process., Vol. 30, No. 4, 470-476, 2014.
14. Zhang, L., H. C. So, and L. Ping, "Adaptive multiple-beamformers for reception of coherent signals with known directions in the presence of uncorrelated interferences," Signal Process., Vol. 84, No. 10, 1861-1873, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2004.06.012
15. Deng, J. H. and J. L. Xie, "A blind beamforming method for receiving coherent signals," Radar Science and Technology, Vol. 13, No. 6, 567-571, 2015.
16. Wang, C., J. Tang, and Y. Wu, "Eigenspace-based beamforming technique for multipath coherent signals reception," Signal Process., Vol. 128, 150-154, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2016.03.028
17. Si, W., P. Zhao, and Z. Qu, "Real-valued DOA estimation for a mixture of uncorrelated and coherent sources via unitary transformation," Digital Signal Process., Vol. 58, 102-114, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.dsp.2016.07.024