This paper presents a miniaturized dual-band antenna with a rectangular patch and symmetrically placed circles in the partial ground plane. The dimensions of the proposed antenna are 15 * 20 * 1.5 mm3, and the antenna is excited by a 50 Ω microstrip line from the bottom. The proposed antenna is fabricated on the commercially available low-cost FR4 substrate having relative permittivity εr = 4.3 and loss tangent 0.025. By introduction of a rectangular slot with a T-shape in the ground plane and a rectangular patch, the lower frequency band is achieved. The peak gain and radiation efficiency of the proposed antenna are 2 dB and 78%. The proposed antenna operates at 2.846 GHz to 3.24 GHz and 4.05 GHz to 6.22 GHz frequency range. The antenna finds its application in S-band, 5.5/5.8 GHz WiMAX bands, and 4.9/5/5.9 GHz Wi-Fi bands.
Aman Kumar Goswami,
Manish Varun Yadav,
"Miniaturized Dual-Band Antenna with a Rectangular Patch and Symmetrically Placed Circles in the Partial Ground Plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 78, 29-37, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18112202
1. Wang, Y. J., C. K. Lee, and W. J. Koh, "Single-patch and single-layer square microstrip antenna with 67.5% bandwidth," IEEE Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 148, 418-422, 2001. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20010748
2. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, J. X. Chen, and Q. Xue, "Ultrawideband strip-loaded circular slot antenna with improved radiation patterns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3348-3353, Nov. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.908847
3. Li, P., J. Liang, and X. Chen, "Study of printed elliptical/circular slot antennas for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1670-1675, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.875499
4. Chen, W. S. and F. M. Hsieh, "A broadband design for a printed isosceles triangular slot antenna for wireless communications," Microw. J., Vol. 48, No. 7, 98-112, Jul. 2007.
5. Baudha, S. and D. K. Vishwakarma, "Miniaturized dual broadband printed slot antenna with parasitic slot and patch," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 10, 2260-2265, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28567
6. Baudha, S. and D. K. Vishwakarma, "Bandwidth enhancement of a planar monopole microstrip patch antenna," Int. J. Microw. Wireless Technol., Vol. 12, 1-6, 2014.
7. Jan, J. Y. and J. W. Su, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed wide-slot antenna with a rotated slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 2111-2114, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848518
8. Jan, J. Y. and L. C. Wang, "Printed wideband rhombus slot antenna with a pair of parasitic strips for multiband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1267-1270, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2015859
9. Sung, Y., "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a parasitic centre patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1712-1716, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186224
10. Baudha, S. and D. K. Vishwakarma, "Corner truncated broadband patch antenna with circular slots," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 845-849, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28968
11. Fan, S. T., Y. Z. Yen, B. Lee, W. Hu, and X. Yang, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed slot antenna with a pair of parasitic patches," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1230-1233, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2224311
12. Baudha, S. and D. K. Vishwakarma, "A compact broadband printed monopole antenna with U-shaped slit rectangular parasitic patches," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technol., Vol. 8, 1231-1235, 2015.
13. Hasch, J., E. Topak, et al. "Millimetre-wave technology for automotive radar sensors in the 77 GHz frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 3, 845-860, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2178427
14. Ozturk, E., M. H. Nemati, et al. "SiGe process integrated full360 micro electromechanical systems based active phase shifter for W-band automotive radar," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, 835-841, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0594
15. Naqvi, S. A., "Miniaturized triple band and ultra-wideband (UWB) fractal antennas for UWB applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 1542-1546, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30582
16. Shan, K., C. L. Ruan, and L. Peng, "Design of a novel planar ultrawideband antenna with 3.5 and 5.5GHz dual band notched characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 370-375, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.25721
17. Fallahi, H. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Bandwidth enhancement of a CPW-fed monopole antenna with small fractal elements," AEU - Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 69, 590-595, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2014.11.011
18. Liu, C. Y., T. Jiang, and Y. S. Li, "A compact wide slot antenna with dual band-notch characteristic for ultra-wideband applications," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 10, No. 1, 55-64, 2011. doi:10.1590/S2179-10742011000100006
19. Ali, J. K., M. T. Yassen, M. R. Hussan, and M. F. Hasan, "A new compact ultra wideband printed monopole antenna with reduced ground plane and band notch characterization," PIERS Proceedings, 1531-1536, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Mar. 27–30, 2012.
20. Kasi, B., L. C. Ping, and C. K. Chakrabarty, "A compact microstrip antenna for ultra wideband applications," European Journal of Scientific Research, Vol. 67, No. 1, 45-51, 2011.
21. Sudeep, B. and K. V. Dinesh, "A compact broadband printed circular slot antenna with stair shaped ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 74, 9-16, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL17120305
22. Baudha, S. and D. K. Vishwakarma, "A compact broadband printed monopole antenna with U-shaped slit and rectangular parasitic patches for multiple applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, 1231-1235, 2016. doi:10.1017/S1759078715000768
23. Deshmukh, A. A., D. Singh, and P. Zaveri, "Broadband slot cut rectangular microstrip antenna," Science Direct, Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 93, 53-59, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.procs.2016.07.181
24. Lakshmanan, R. and S. K. Sukumaran, "Flexible ultra wide band antenna forWBAN applications," Science Direct, Procedia Technology, Vol. 24, 880-887, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.protcy.2016.05.149