This paper is a design and fabrication of an UWB filter (band pass filter) with two notched (rejection) bands. Ultra-wideband (UWB) systems are systems with the electromagnetic spectrum from 3.1 GHz to 10.6 GHz. The designed filter removes WLAN and satellite signals which are 5.8 GHz and 8 GHz. For designing filter, we use a stepped-impedance stub-loaded resonator. To provide two notched bands, a radial stub loaded resonator with a defected microstrip structure (DMS) is used. The presented filter has more analytic relations and simpler structure than prior works. This filter is fabricated on an RO4003 substrate with dielectric constant of 3.55. The dimensions of the filter are 10*25 mm which are more compact than prior structures. The measurements have a good agreement with predicted results which verifies the feasibility of the UWB filter.
Ahmad Reza Eskandari,
Mohammad Mansour Riahi Kashani,
Mohammad Ali Shameli,
"Compact UWB Bandpass Filter with Two Notched Bands Using SISLR and DMS Structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 80, 193-201, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19021303
1. Commission, F. C., "Revision of part 15 of the commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems," First Rep. Order, No. FCC02-48, 1-118, 2002.
2. Sadeghzadeh, R. A., M. A. Honarvar, and A. R. Eskandari, "Coplanar-fed UWB elliptical patch antenna with notched band characteristics," PIERS 2010 Xi'an - Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 1200-1203, Xi'an, China, March 22–26, 2010.
3. Sohail, K., P. W. Wong, and Y. C. Lee, "A novel synthesis procedure for ultra wideband (UWB) bandpass filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 249-266, 2013.
4. Peng, H., J. Zhao, and B. Wang, "Compact microstrip UWB bandpass filter with triple-notched bands and wide upper stopband," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 185-191, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER13120409
5. Abdalla, M. A., A. A. Ibrahim, and A. Boutejdar, "Resonator switching techniques for notched ultra-wideband antenna in wireless applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 13, 1468-1477, 2015. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2014.0838
6. Shi, X. M., X. L. Xi, Y. C. Zhao, and H. L Yang, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter with triple-notched bands," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 9, 1174-1180, 2015. doi:10.1080/09205071.2015.1034811
7. Oh, S., J. Song, and J. Lee, "UWB bandpass filter based on ring resonator," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 2047-2051, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27780
8. Jhariya, D., A. R. Azad, A. Mohan, and M. Sinha, "A compact modified U-shaped UWB bandpass filter," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 2172-2175, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29303
9. Eskandari, A. R., M. N. Moghaddasi, and M. A. Honarvar, "Design of a novel circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using EBG structure," Microwave Symposium (MMS), Mediterrannean, 2009.
10. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, 796-798, 2005.
11. Wong, S. W. and L. Zhu, "EBG-embedded multiple-mode resonator for UWB bandpass filter with improved upper-stopband performance," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 6, 421-423, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.897788
12. Zobeyri, M. R. and A. R. Eskandari, "Design of single- and dual-band BPFs using folded 0˚ feed structures and embedded resonators," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 96, 18-29, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.09.011
13. Chu, H. and X. Q. Shi, "Compact ultra-wideband bandpass filter based on SIW and DGS technology with a notch band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 4, 589-596, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794500304
14. Wang, H., L. Zhu, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with hybrid microstrip/CPW structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 12, 844-846, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.860016
15. Kumar, S., R. D. Gupta, and M. S. Parihar, "Multiple band notched filter using C-shaped and E-shaped resonator for UWB applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 5, 340-342, 2016. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2549700
16. Song, Y., G. M. Yang, and W. Geyi, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands using defected ground structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 4, 230-232, 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2296291
17. Yang, L., W. W. Choi, K. W. Tam, and L. Zhu, "Novel wideband bandpass filter with dual notched bands using stub-loaded resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 1, 25-27, 2017. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2629967
18. Patil, L. A., P. J. Deore, and J. B. Jadhav, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter using optimum short circuited technique," Int. J. Eng. Issues, No. 1, 34-43, 2016.
19. Guo, X., Y. Xu, and W. Wang, "Miniaturized planar ultra-wideband bandpass filter with notched band," J. Comput. Commun., 100-105, March 2015. doi:10.4236/jcc.2015.33017
20. Borhani, S. J., M. A. Honarvar, and A. Dadgarpour, "Design and simulation of a novel UWB bandpass filter with sharp roll-off, compact size and wide upper stopband based on a multiple-mode resonator," J. Intalligent Procedrures Electr. Technol., Vol. 4, No. 16, 3-10, 2014.
21. Thirumalaivasan, K. and R. Nakkeeran, "Design of dual notch filter from UWB bandpass filter to reject 5 GHz narrowband WLAN service," Int. J. Recent Trends Eng. Technol., Vol. 5, No. 2, 99-102, 2011.
22. Sharma, V. K. and M. Kumar, "Design of microstrip UWB bandpass filter using multiple mode resonator," American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER), Vol. 3, No. 10, 169-177, 2014.
23. Thirumalaivasan, K. and R. Nakkeeran, "UWB bandpass filter with notched band for the rejection of 5 GHz WLAN using hexagonal multiple mode resonator," IEEE Int. Conf. Commun. Control Comput. Technol. ICCCCT 2010, 21-24, 2010. doi:10.1109/ICCCCT.2010.5670785
24. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-Wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.859011
25. Li, R. and L. Zhu, "Compact UWB bandpass filter using stub-loaded multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 17, No. 1, 40-42, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.887251
26. Makimoto, M. and S. Yamashita, "Bandpass filters using parallel coupled stripline stepped impedance resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 28, No. 12, 1413-1417, 1980. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1980.1130258
27. Hung, C., S. Member, M. Weng, Y. Su, and R. Yang, "Design of compact and sharp-rejection ultra wideband bandpass filters using interdigital stepped-impedance resonators," IEICE Transactions on Electronics, Vol. 2, No. 8, 1652-1654, 2007. doi:10.1093/ietele/e90-c.8.1652
28. Kumari, S. and S. Mieee, "Design of planar bandpass filter for ultra wideband applicaitons," Int. J. Comput. Appl. (0975–8887) Natl. Conf. Innov. Recent Trends Eng. Technol., 38-40, 2014.
29. Zhao, J., J. Wang, and J. L. Li, "Compact microstrip UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands using E-shaped resonator," 2013 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Work. Ser. RF Wirel. Technol. Biomed. Healthc. Appl. IMWS-BIO 2013 - Proc., Vol. 23, No. 12, 638-640, 2013.
30. Xu, J., W. Wu, W. Kang, and C. Miao, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with a notched band using radial stub loaded resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 22, No. 7, 351-353, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2201930
31. Xiao, J. K. and W. J. Zhu, "New defected microstrip structure bandstop filter," PIERS 2011 Suzhou - Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 1471-1474, September 12–16, 2011.
32. Poddar, D. R. and S. Member, "High-selective compact UWB bandpass," IEEE Microwave Wirel. Components Lett., 1-3, 2014.
33. Wei, F., Q. Y. Wu, X. W. Shi, and L. Chen, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands based on SCRLH resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 21, No. 1, 28-30, 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2088113
34. Oh, S. H., K. T. Kim, J. H. Lee, S. Kahng, and H. S. Kim, "Design of the miniaturized ultra-wide band (UWB) filter using the metamaterial characteristic," Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf. Proceedings, APMC, No. 1, 954-956, 2013.